Current Weather ° F

  • Contact Information

    Archives

    archivist@jeffco.us
    303-271-8448

    Monday-Friday
    7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.

    Contact Us

    3500 Illinois St.
    Suite 2350
    Laramie Building
    Golden, CO 80401

    View Map

    Archivist

    Ronda Frazier, CA
    303-271-8448

  • Chronological History of Jeffco – the 1870s

     

    1870

    Bishop George M. Randall opens Jarvis Hall Collegiate School in a building just south of Golden on site of current Lookout  Mountain Youth Services Center.

    September 12, 1870

    Martin Leyden and fellow miners Patrick Stanton and Patrick Kelly die when Leyden Creek Coal Mine fills with deadly firedamp gas. 

    September 24, 1870

    The Colorado Central Railroad line completed. First train arrives in Jefferson County, at Golden City, from Denver.

    November 21, 1870

    Construction of the Welch Ditch begins in Clear Creek Canyon.

    December 1, 1870

    First town plat of Arvada filed. Originally, the settlement was known as Ralston Point.

    December 4, 1870

    Earthquake hits Golden around 5 am with shaking lasting 2-3 seconds.

    January 3, 1871

    Town of Golden City incorporated.  "City" is dropped from the town's title Jan. 22, 1872.

    1872

    Golden Smelting Works, Golden's first major smelter, is established.

    The First Presbyterian Church, now Golden's Foothills Art Center, is built.

    January 16, 1872

    Organized fire-fighting created in Golden with former sheriff Joseph Remington appointed foreman of the new "hook and ladder" company.

    September 19, 1872

    Matthews Hall divinity school opens next to Jarvis Hall collegiate school. 

    October 1872

    Town of Morrison established; town plat filed November 28, 1874. 

    December 23, 1872

    The narrow gauge section of the Colorado Central Railroad, linking Denver and Golden with Central City through Clear Creek Canyon completed.  First railroad into the Colorado mountains. 

    1873

    Last documented encampment of Ute tribe, led by Chief Colorow, in Jefferson County.

    School of Mines opens under the auspices of the Episcopal Church. 
     
    Colorado School of Mines Geology Museum established as Jarvis Hall Museum by Arthur Lakes.

    First sitting US President, Ulysses S. Grant, visits Golden.

    September 12, 1873

    First Swedish church in Colorado, the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church, established in Golden by Swedish immigrants.

    October 1873

    South School in Golden opens with 195 students.  Jefferson County is the first county in Colorado to adopt a graded school system, separating students by age.

    October 6, 1873

    Golden Cemetery established by the town of Golden as a municipal cemetery.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012. 

    November 24, 1873

    Coors Brewing Company founded in Golden by Adolph Coors Sr. and Jacob Schueler.  Golden Lager, their first beer, hits the market in 1874 and is an instant success.  Coors buys out his partner on May 4, 1880 to become sole owner of the company. 

    1874

    Colorado School of Mines established as a territorial institution, becoming a state institution in 1876 when Colorado attains statehood.

    June 20, 1874

    First T-Rex fossil, a tooth, discovered on South Table Mountain by Jarvis Hall student Peter T. Dotson.

    August 1, 1876

    Colorado becomes 38th state with a population of 135,000 citizens.

    1877

    George Parfet begins mining clay in mine just south of Brooks Field, right next to the White Ash Coal Mine.

    April 20, 1877

    Rev. Arthur Lakes discovers dinosaur fossils in the Morrison Formation along the Dakota Hogback near the town of Morrison.  This was the first major, and one of the most important, dinosaur discoveries in North America. 

    June 23, 1877

    Cornerstone laid for the original Jefferson County Courthouse at 1501 Washington Ave.  Courthouse and jail opened February 15, 1878, demolished in 1963.

    April 1878

    Jarvis and Mathews Halls burn to the ground, leaving Mines building standing alone.

    September 1, 1879

    First Jefferson County telephone service started by Golden Telephone & Dispatch Company. 

    October 24, 1879

    Golden Opera House, Jefferson County’s first theatrical venue, opens on Washington Ave.