header background image
Current Weather 55° F
  • Contact Information



    7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.

    Contact Us

    3500 Illinois St.
    Suite 2350
    Laramie Building
    Golden, CO 80401

    View Map


    Ronda Frazier, CA

  • Chronological History of Jeffco – the 1890s 



    June 27, 1890

    Westminster platted as Harris Park. It was originally called Harrisburg. The name was changed to Westminster in 1908.

    July 21, 1890

    Severe rain storm begins after a long dry spell causing Clear Creek to flood, claiming three lives in Clear Creek Canyon.

    September 20, 1891

    The first tramway to Lakewood and Golden from Denver begins service by the Denver, Lakewood and Golden Railway Company.  It later became part of the Denver Tramway Corporation and was popularly known as the “Loop.”

    July 4, 1892

    Mount Olivet Cemetery opened. It was called "The New City of the Dead.”

    April 3, 1894

    Ella Deaver becomes first woman elected to office in Jefferson County as Treasurer of the City of Golden.

    May 30-June 1, 1894

    Floods hit Clear Creek, Bear Creek and South Platte, causing major damage along rivers and in Golden and Morrison.

    July 24, 1896 

    Great Flood from massive thunderstorm inundates Bear Creek, Clear Creek, Cub Creek, Golden Gate Canyon, Mt. Vernon Canyon, South Platte River and Tucker Gulch.  29 lives are lost at Evergreen, Golden, Morrison and Mt. Vernon Canyon, with great material destruction in Clear Creek Canyon, Golden and Morrison.

    August 28, 1898

    Train wreck near Dome Rock Station takes the life of William "Billy" G. Westall, engineer for the Denver, South Park & Pacific Railroad.  Guiding a train with 450 passengers back to Denver, Westall discovered the tracks ahead of his train were blocked.  He did his best to stop the train but it hit the debris and keeled over, pinning Westall and seriously injuring him.  His passengers all survived but he died later that night.

    September 4, 1899

    A.O.U.W., the Ancient Order of United Workmen, erect monument to honor Billy Westall near the Dome Rock Station along the North Fork of the South Platte River, about halfway through the canyon.  Students from West Jefferson Middle School work to preserve and restore the monument 2012-2014.