• Contact Information



    7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.

    Contact Us

    3500 Illinois St.
    Suite 2350
    Laramie Building
    Golden, CO 80401

    View Map


    Ronda Frazier, CA

  • Chronological History of Jeffco – the 1930s


    July 11, 1930

    Funicular fire on Lookout Mountain.


    Colorado School of Mines' "M" on Mt. Zion is lit for the first time.


    Turkey Creek flood damages Tiny Town for the second time.

    March 19, 1932

    Colorado School of Mines emblem, the "M" on Mt. Zion, is permanently lit.

    April 1933

    Prohibition ends.  Coors Brewery operates 24 hours a day in order to meet demand, producing 350 barrels of beer per day.

    July 7-8, 1933

    Bear Creek flood starting at Sawmill Gulch and Mt. Vernon Creek near Idledale claims five lives with major destruction of Bear Creek Canyon Road between Idledale and Morrison.

    August 9, 1934

    Flood of Bear Creek and Mt. Vernon Creek claims six lives with much property damage near Kittredge.


    Fire destroys Tiny Town's Indian pueblo and many of its buildings.  The miniature businesses and residences survive the fire.


    Ralston Dam built as Depression-era federal works project. 


    Red Rocks Amphitheater near Morrison built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) under the auspices of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Denver Mountain Parks. 

    March 27, 1937

    Denver Fire Clay Mine north of Golden caves in, trapping three miners while one escapes. After 18 hours all miners are rescued uninjured.


    Federal Correctional Institute establishes federal prison farm south of Green Mountain.

    August 15, 1938

    Jefferson County Pioneer Museum established by Jefferson County Commissioners with aid of Works Progress Administration.  Operates today as the Golden History Center.

    September 2-3, 1938

    Bear Creek flood kills six people in Bear Creek Canyon between Morrison and Kittredge, with $450,000 in damage through Morrison.