header background image
Current Weather 32° F
  • Contact Information



    7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.

    Contact Us

    3500 Illinois St.
    Suite 2350
    Laramie Building
    Golden, CO 80401

    View Map


    Ronda Frazier, CA

  • Chronological History of Jeffco – the 1950s



    All 39 Jefferson County school districts consolidated into the state's largest school district, Jefferson County R-1.

    July 10, 1951

    Ground breaking for first building of the Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Plant in Jefferson County.


    Jefferson County Public Library established by the Board of County Commissioners. 

    January 25, 1952

    Denver Boulder Turnpike opens. 

    November 15, 1952

    The first televised Colorado football game, Colorado School of Mines versus Colorado College, played at the School of Mines' Brooks Field and shown on KFEL-TV Channel 2. 


    New county courthouse completed in Golden at 17th and Arapahoe.  Demolished in 1999. 
    Jefferson Symphony Orchestra begins performing. 

    Rocky Flats nuclear weapons production facility begins production of bomb components, manufacturing plutonium triggers.


    Martin-Marietta Company (originally the Glen L. Martin Company), now Lockheed-Martin Company, established in South Jefferson County near Waterton. 

    August 30, 1956

    Lakeside Shopping City, the first fully enclosed and air conditioned shopping center in the United States, opens on West 44th Avenue. 


    County jail and Sheriff's residence built next to the 1953 courthouse at 16th and Arapahoe. It was later used as the Assessor/Treasurer building. 

    February 1957

    JCRS Shopping Center opens on Colfax Avenue. 


    Town of Bow Mar established and incorporated, located in both Jefferson and Arapahoe Counties.

    Bandimere Speedway opens.