• Disaster Recovery


    When an emergency incident occurs in Jefferson County, we use many forms of communication to get the most important information out to our residents. Once the incident has moved to the recovery stage, this web page is used as the one-stop-shop for information on assistance, continued closures, ongoing work, etc. You can also follow the Jefferson County social media accounts for updates: Facebook and Twitter.

    This information contained on this page now is for ongoing assistance for our residents recovering from the 2013 flood and minimize and prevent damage from future floods. Some of this information may now abe outdated. We have staff resources available to discuss rebuilding, prevention, permit requirements and floodplain issues. See our categories of information below.

    To see some of our most frequently asked questions, see our Frequently Asked Questions on Rebuilding After the Flood page >>

    To see photos of the flood damage, see our Flood Photo Gallery >>

    For quick access, select from these links to jump to the information you're most interested in.

    Flood Recovery Assistance  |  Flood Recovery Information  |  Rebuilding 


    Flood Recovery Assistance


    ColoradoUnited Website

    Gov. John Hickenlooper has announced a new website that will provide information about recovery efforts related to flooding in Colorado last month. The website, ColoradoUnited.com External Link Icon, includes recovery news, current information about impacted areas and how to get help. There is also a place where the public can contact the Recovery Office through an online form about any issues they have.


    Canyon Cares
    The Coal Creek Canyon community is concerned about its residents and want to offer a helping hand. Canyon Cares has come together to coordinate volunteers who can lend a hand with clean-up or small repairs. Take a look at the Canyon Cares website External Link Icon for more information and to contact the group.

    Pastor’s Pantry
    The Pastor's Pantry is located in Whispering Pines Church and has radically expanded in both hours of operation and supplies for everyone in the canyon in the current crisis. See the Canyon Cares Flood Assistance page External Link Icon for all the details.

    United Way's 2-1-1
    2-1-1 Colorado connects families and individuals to social and community resources best suited to meet their needs. Dial 2-1-1 on your phone or go to the 2-1-1 Colorado website. External Link Icon

    Mountain Resource Center
    Mountain Resource Center provides community based health and human services to people living in Conifer, Evergreen, Bailey and surrounding Colorado communities in order to foster more self-reliant and healthier lives.
    Connect with the on the MRCCO website External Link Icon or by phone 303-838-7552
    Conifer: 11030 Kitty Drive
    Bailey: Inside Platte Canyon Community Church 4954 County Road 64
    Evergreen:The Place in Evergreen, 27886 Meadow Drive

    Evergreen Christian Outreach (EChO)
    EChO offers goods and services to local families in need. EChO’s proceeds benefit our mountain community. In addition to items like food and clothing we offer short-term assistance and prayer support.
    Connect with them on the EChO website External Link Icon or by phone 303-670-1796
    27640 Hwy 74, Bancroft Hall, Evergreen, CO 80439

    Veterans Green Jobs for Weatherization Services
    Veterans Green Jobs is a non-profit organization that provides low-income residential weatherization services to Jefferson County as the approved local agency for the Weatherization Assistance Program under the Colorado Energy Office (CEO). Qualified residents for these services, whether flood damaged or not, may apply by calling us at 970-236-1321 or thru the online application at our Veterans Green Jobs website External Link Icon.

    Jefferson County Housing Authority (JCHA)
    The Housing Rehabilitation program provides assistance for low to moderate-income homeowners in Jefferson County for essential repairs and necessary improvements to their home.
    JCHA website External Link Icon; 303-403-5423.

    Brothers Redevelopment, Inc. (BRI)
    BRI provides housing and a variety of housing-related services for the region’s low-income, elderly and disabled residents.
    www.brothersredevelopment.org External Link Icon; 303-202-6340.

    Blue Spruce Habitat for Humanity
    Blue Spruce Habitat for Humanity is the foothills affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International serving the mountain areas of western Jefferson County, Clear Creek County and parts of Park County near Bailey.
    bluesprucehabitat.org External Link Icon; 303-674-1127.

    Colorado Housing and Finance Authority (CHFA)
    Colorado Housing and Finance Authority is providing disaster housing resources in Colorado on their CHFA websiteExternal Link Icon 


    Flood Recovery Information


    Adjusting the Valuation of your Home

    The Jefferson County Assessor's Office has a form to use if you need to report damage to your property as a result of the flooding. The Assessor's Office will evaluate the damage to your property and make appropriate adjustments to the value as provided under Colorado law for property tax purposes. Please see the Assessor's Office landing page for a letter on flood evaluation status, the property damage form and more information.

    CSU Extension

    CSU Extension has put together a variety of resources and information that may be of help during this time of recovery from the devastating floods in Colorado. This is information on replacing lost or damaged documents, pest problems after a flood, agricultural and livestock flood resources and much more. Take a look at the Jefferson County CSU Extension website for details. Post-Flood Equine Health Facts from the CSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital.

    Document Replacement

    • Adoption Decrees – The Colorado District Courts link for adoption records, if the adoption was finalized in Colorado, is on the CDPHE's Certificates and Vital Records webpage. External Link Icon                                    
    • Birth and Death Certificates – Birth and death certificates can be replaced by visiting Jefferson County Vital Records at 800 Jefferson County Parkway, Suite 1300 in Golden.
      Office Hours are 8:30 am to 4:00 pm; 303-271-6450.
    • Driver Licenses – Visit any Colorado driver license office with acceptable identification and proof of address. Fee required.
    • Immigration Documents – Visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website External Link Icon for document information on citizenship, immigration, permanent resident card (green card), employment authorization, re-entry permit and more.
    • Marriage Certificates and Dissolution Certificates – Marriage Certificates can be replaced by visiting the Recording Division at 100 Jefferson County Parkway, Suite 2560.
      Office Hours are 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. 303-271-8121
    • Passport – Complete form DS-64 on the U.S. Department of State's Travel websiteExternal Link Icon
    • Vehicle Registration, License Tab or Title – Vehicle Registrations can be replaced by visiting any of the Motor Vehicle Offices in Jefferson County. Find the locations on the Motor Vehicle website.
    • Military Records – Request Standard Form 180 (SF-180) from any office of the Veterans Administration, American Legion, VFW or Red Cross, or download from the National Archives website. External Link Icon
    • Mortgage Papers – Contact your lending institution.
    • Property Deeds – Deeds can be replaced by visiting the Recording Division at 100 Jefferson County Parkway, Suite 2560.
      Office Hours are 7:30 am to 5:30 pm; 303-271-8121
    • Insurance Policies – Contact the insurance company for replacement papers
    • Social Security Card – Go to a Social Security Administration office. You also can request a copy of your Social Security statement online at www.ssa.gov. External Link Icon                                      
    • Transcript of Your Tax Return – Call your nearest Treasury Department office, IRS office or 800-829-3646; request form 4506.
      To find your local IRS office, go to the locations page of the IRS websiteExternal Link Icon                                        
    • Savings Bonds/Notes – Complete Form PDF 1048 (claim for lost, stolen or destroyed U.S. Savings Bonds); available by calling 304-480-6112 or at www.treasurydirect.gov/forms/sav1048.pdf External Link Icon
    • Credit Cards – American Express, 800-528-4800; Discover, 800-347-2683; MasterCard, 800-622-7747; Visa, 800-847-2911


    Insurance Policy Questions

    The Division of Insurance regulates insurance companies and agencies. We are a resource for consumers with insurance questions and we work to educate consumers. If you contact the Division's staff they can assist by walking you through your policy or answering questions you might have about your company.

    • If have flood insurance they need to reach out to the National Flood Insurance Program at www.floodsmart.gov.External Link Icon
    • If they do not have flood insurance, the standard homeowner policy does not cover flood loss. Consumers with questions about insurance may contact our office at 303-894-7499 or 303-894-7490.


    Land Rehabilitation

    Jefferson County encourages land owners to contact the Jefferson Soil Conservation District at 720-544-2870 prior to beginning land rehabilitation projects.


    Legal Advice

    Colorado lawyers are among those ready to lend a hand to the survivors of recent storms and flooding in Colorado. They are gearing up to offer no-cost, disaster-related legal advice to those impacted through the Colorado Bar Association Disaster Relief program, the Colorado Joint Disaster Legal Services Task Force in a partnership with the FEMA and the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division. See the Coloarado Flood Legal Relief website External Link Icon for all the details.


    Mold Prevention and Control Tips

    Mildew and molds are fungi, simple microscopic organisms that thrive anywhere there is a moist environment. Molds are a necessary part of the environment, but is their ability to destroy organic materials that makes mold a problem for people - in our homes and in our bodies. You can also get in touch with Public Health's Environmental Health Services division at 303-271-5730.


    Public and Mental Health

    The Jefferson County Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Response staff is here to serve the public health needs of the community before, during and after an event. Find topics on the Emergency Preparedness page on general health and safety after a flood, food safety after a flood, floods and water quality facts and more. You can also find many flood resources pertaining to public health on the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment Flood Resources web page. External Link Icon

    COHELP hotline is available to answer health-related flood questions. Phone numbers: 1-877-462-2911 or 303-389-1687.

    Jefferson Center for Mental Health is here to support community members who may be struggling. In the days and weeks to come as the reality of recovery and rebuilding sets in, the devastation may have an emotional impact on your co-worker, your neighbor, or your family member. The Jefferson Center for Mental Health, along with other community mental health centers in our statewide system of care, are trying to assess the needs those who live in or near the affected areas and to offer support to the community.


    Colorado Spirit is a new community outreach team assisting Jefferson and Clear Creek County residents in flood recovery. They offer both emotional support and resource information/referral. The outreach team is available 7 days a week, and can meet you anywhere in the community. If you or someone you know could use help, please contact us at:





    Building Safety

    If you feel your home has sustained significant damage and you need to rebuild or repair, please contact us with questions at 303-271-8260 or you can see our Building Safety website. Take a look at our Building Safety Permits page for information on the types of permits and the application process.


    Clean Up

    Here are several guides on how to clean up after a flood.





    Don’t PREPAY for repair work. Make informed choices. See the District Attorney's Consumer Fraud page for more information, check out the Better Business Bureau website External Link Icon or call the DA Fraud Hotline at 303-271-6980.


    Planning and Zoning

    As the recovery phase continues throughout the County, you may need a permit for the work that needs to be done on your property. Permits may be required for any work in the drainageway, grading activities, and structural improvements to buildings.

    Please review our Requirements for Rebuilding After a Flood document Adobe PDF Icon for information on the types of permits and the application process. You can contact Planning and Zoning Staff to assist you in determining which, if any, permits are required and we have setup expedited processes for those impacted by the flooding. Please contact us at 303-271-8707 or see our Planning and Zoning web page.


    Septic System Inspection

    If you feel your septic system needs to be inspected, the Jefferson County Public Health Department is the one to call. Contact them at 303-271-5700. You can get more information on these systems on their Individual Sewage Disposal Systems web page.


    Last Updated: 6-2-2015