• Jefferson County District Attorney Banner
  • Consumer Fraud Complaints

    Charitable Fraud Complaints

    Organizations that solicit for charitable contributions must be registered with the Colorado Secretary of State. Before donating money, please contact the secretary of state’s office:
    Secretary of State View exit disclaimer policy page for links to third-party websites.
    1560 Broadway, Suite 200
    Denver, CO 80202
    303-894-2200 x6409
    FAX: 303-869-4871

    The Better Business Bureau (BBB) provides reliability reports to consumers free of charge. You may also want to contact the BBB before sending money.
    Better Business Bureau View exit disclaimer policy page for links to third-party websites.
    1020 Cherokee St.
    Denver, CO 80204-4039
    303-758-2100 (to obtain a reliability report)
    FAX: 303-758-8321 

    Charitable Solicitations by Telephone
    If a solicitor contacts you by telephone, the solicitor must:

    • Include a statement that the caller is being paid to make a solicitation, if this is true.
    • Provide the name of the telemarketing company that employs the solicitor.
    • Give the name and telephone number of the charitable organization for which the telemarketer is soliciting.
    • Make a statement that the person being called has the right to change his mind about the contribution within three business days following the call or within one business day after the caller receives written confirmation of the agreement reached between the parties during the call.
    • Inform the party if the contribution is tax deductible.
    • Provide, at the caller’s request, the percentage of the contribution that will be given to the charitable organization.
    • Provide, at the caller’s request, the most recent tax information supplied to the Colorado Department of Revenue.


    Ask questions before giving:

    • Find out how the money is to be used.
    • Who will benefit from your contribution?
    • How much of your donation will go to the charity, and how much will fund the administrative costs?
    • Ask for past tax information to verify the information you have been given.
    • Obtain a physical address for the company and a telephone number.


    Last Updated: 7-23-2013
  • The filing of a criminal charge is merely a formal accusation that an individual has committed a crime(s).
    A defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty. See Colo. RPC 3.6.