Jefferson County, Co. – Due to recent rainfall and the reduced threat of fire conditions, the fire ban in unincorporated Jeffco will be lifted, and fire restrictions will take effect July 12, 2012, at 12:00 P.M.
What is allowed under fire restrictions?
• Charcoal grill fires at private residences or within a permanently constructed grate in a developed park, campground, or picnic area.
• Chimineas, fire pits, and tiki torches at private residences.
• Any fires contained within liquid fueled or gas fueled stoves, lanterns or heating devices.
• Legal fireworks provided that all combustible material is adequately cleared above and around the fireworks being used.
• Operating a chain saw with a USDA or SAE approved spark arresting device properly installed and in effective working order, and having a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher of not less than eight (8) ounces capacity by weight, and possessing one large size pointed shovel with an overall length of at least thirty-six (36) inches. The extinguisher shall be with the chain saw operator. The shovel may be kept with the fueling supplies, but readily available for quick use.
• Welding or operating an acetylene or other torch with an open flame within an area that is barren or cleared of all combustible material at least ten feet on all sides from the equipment.
What is not allowed under fire restrictions:
• Any fire or campfire, not within a permanently constructed fire grate in a developed park, campground, private residence, or picnic area.
• Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area of at least three feet diameter that is barren or cleared of all combustible material.
• Illegal fireworks as defined by Colorado Statutes. (Generally defined as anything that explodes or leaves the ground).
Jefferson County deputies will strictly enforce the temporary fire restrictions in the unincorporated areas, to include federal lands. Violations of these prohibitions, upon conviction, is punishable by a fine of not more than $600.00.
Follow us on Twitter at @jeffcosheriffco or go to http://www.jeffcosheriff.com