• Cabin Creek New Item
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Cactus Club Outdoor Theatre
    Denver Cactus Club members leased Lookout Mountain land from private owners of the Rilliet Park Association to establish a "natural amphitheater" for summer productions from 1919 to 1931. Members volu...More->
  • Calabrese Ditch #8
    This ditch is located in Water District # 7, and the Priority dates from March 2, 1863. Claimant in 1936 was John Calabrese. It is sometimes called Ramboz Ditch, probably because of the proximity of...More->
  • Calkins Farm
    Henry D. Calkins purchased 320 acres in 1873. More land was acquired to the west, where a reservoir, Calkins Lake, was built for irrigation. H. D. Calkins helped build Lathrop Elementary School in Sch...More->
  • Calkins Lake
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Calvary Church
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Calvary Episcopal Church
    The 1867 church is one of the earliest examples of Gothic Revival style architecture on the Front Range. It represents an introduction of this architectural style into Colorado by an unknown architect...More->
  • Campbell Elementary School
    The school was named for Bertha E. Campbell who served as teacher and principal in the Jefferson County Schools for 32 years. Campbell School was built in 1963....More->
  • Camp George West - Ammunition Igloo
    The ammunition igloo at Camp George West was constructed in 1940 with funds from the Works Project Administration (WPA). The igloo is located near the base of South Table Mountain, north of the Cam...More->
  • Camp George West - Amphitheater
    Designed by Lieutenant Frank J. Ardourel and constructed between 1933 and 1935. General Neil W. Kimball conceived the idea for the amphitheater. It consists a horseshoe shaped seating area bounded by ...More->
  • Camp George West - Bridge #13
    Two-lane bridge over Lena Gulch in the north central section of Camp George West was constructed in 1938 as a Works Project Administration (WPA) project. Architect Frank Ardurel designed this bridge w...More->
  • Camp George West - Bridge #92
    One-lane bridge over Lena Gulch in the northwest quadrant of Camp George West constructed in 1940. Designed by the architect George H. Merchant, this bridge was a Works Project Administration (WPA) pr...More->
  • Camp George West - Bridge No. 91
    This bridge was constructed in 1941 at Camp George West with funds provided for public works by the Works Project Administration (WPA). The two lane bridge is in the northeast quadrant of Camp George...More->
  • Camp George West - Firing Range
    The c. 1924 firing range is located northwest of the principal concentration of buildings at Camp George West on the southern edge of the installation, the firing lines are oriented eastward and consi...More->
  • Camp George West - Gate House, Building #102
    Designed by the Denver District Corps of Engineers, this 114 sq. ft. vernacular wood frame building was built in 1943. It has horizontal board siding and a shed roof with overhanging eaves. The pa...More->
  • Camp George West - Gate & Wall
    This stone and concrete gate was built c. 1930. Located on the west side of the entrance to the southern portion of Camp George West. It is composed of fieldstone rubblework consisting of two stone p...More->
  • Camp George West - Guard House, Building 83
    Built in 1940 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project, this one-story, hipped roof building has stone walls. The central projecting front entrance has a flat stone arch. There are multi-l...More->
  • Camp George West - Headquarters, Building 45
    Built in 1937 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project, it has always served as the post headquarters. It is a one-story, 3847 sq. ft. building with a steep pitched hipped roof with a main ba...More->
  • Camp George West Historic District
    The first land utilized for this property was purchased from Moses Wyman on Dec. 14, 1906. He was paid $4000 for 75 acres. This area has been added to considerably until now the property contains 67...More->
  • Camp George West - Infirmary, Building #47
    Architect George H. Merchant designed this 1938, 3468 sq. ft. one-story building composed of roughly split basaltic stone. The vernacular masonry building has a projecting, gabled entrance bay which ...More->
  • Camp George West - Latrine, Building #46
    Architect G.H. Merchant designed this 581 sq. ft, one-story building composed of a main gabled section and lower, inset gabled wing on the east. Built in 1936, the building's walls are composed of po...More->
  • Camp George West - Latrine, Building #54
    Built in 1940, this small, 140-square-foot, one-story building with a hipped roof has walls composed of basaltic stone rubblework. The structure is attached to Building #53 by a frame addition. The b...More->
  • Camp George West - Laundry Building #53
    Architect G.H. Merchant designed this 1610-square-foot, one-story building with a gabled roof. Built in 1934, the main building is composed of basaltic stone rubblework. Frame, shed roofed addition ...More->
  • Camp George West - Magazine, Building 34
    Built in 1925, this small one-story building has a gabled roof with overhanging eaves, exposed rafters, and a gabled roof vent. It has stuccoed frame walls atop a concrete foundation. The central ent...More->
  • Camp George West - Mess Hall, Building #11
    Designed by the Quartermaster at Fort Sam Houston, this 2722 sq. ft., one-story, gabled structure was built in 1941. This vernacular, masonry mess hall was constructed by the Works Projects Adminis...More->
  • Camp George West - Mess Hall, Building #12
    Designed by the Quartermaster at Fort Sam Houston and modified for Camp George West by George H. Merchant, this one-story, 1430 sq. ft., front gabled, vernacular, masonry building was constructed in 1...More->
  • Camp George West - Mess Hall, Building #14
    Designed by the quarter master at Fort Sam Houston and modified for Camp George West by George H. Merchant, this one-story front gable roofed, vernacular masonry, 1430 sq. ft building was built 1936. ...More->
  • Camp George West - Mess Hall, Building #15
    Designed by the quarter master at Fort Sam Houston, this one story front gable roofed vernacular masonry 1430 sq. ft. building was built in 1927. This building was one of 12 mess halls built in 1927 ...More->
  • Camp George West - Mess Hall, Building #16
    Designed by the quarter master at Fort Sam Houston, and modified for Camp George West by George H. Merchant, this one-story, front gable roofed vernacular masonry 1430 sq. ft. building was built in 19...More->
  • Camp George West - Mess Hall, Building #17
    Designed by the quarter master at Fort Sam Houston, this one-story front gable roofed vernacular masonry, 2772 sq. ft. building was built in 1927. This building was one of 12 mess halls built in 1927...More->
  • Camp George West - Mess Hall, Building #18
    Designed by the quarter master at Fort Sam Houston and modified for Camp George West by George H. Merchant, this one story, front gable roofed vernacular masonry 1430 sq. ft. building was built in 193...More->
  • Camp George West - Mess Hall, Building #20
    Designed by the Quartermaster at Fort Sam Houston, this one-story, front gable roofed, vernacular, masonry, 1430 sq. ft. structure was built in 1927. This building was one of 12 mess halls built in ...More->
  • Camp George West - Mess Hall, Building #21
    Designed by the quarter master at Fort Sam Houston, this one-story, front gable roofed vernacular masonry 1430 sq. ft. building was built in 1927. This building was one of 12 mess halls built in 1927...More->
  • Camp George West - Mess Hall, Building #24
    Designed by the quarter master at Fort Sam Houston and modified by George H. Merchant, this one-story, front gable roofed vernacular masonry 2772 sq. ft. building was constructed in 1936. This was on...More->
  • Camp George West - Pump House, Building #84
    This small, one-story wood frame 50 sq. ft building was constructed in 1927 by the federal government for the camp water supply. The pump was later used in association with the post irrigation and sw...More->
  • Camp George West - Quarters, Building #68
    Architect George H. Merchant designed this one-story 1855 sq. ft. English/Norman cottage built in 1934. It has walls of basaltic stone and has a multiple gabled roof with clipped gables. The buildin...More->
  • Camp George West - Quarters, Building #69
    Architect George H. Merchant designed this one-story, 1831 sq. ft. English/Norman cottage, built in 1937. It has walls of basaltic stone from south Table Mountain and a complex roof lined with centra...More->
  • Camp George West - Quarters, Building #70
    Architect George H. Merchant designed this one-story, 2050 sq. ft. bungalow built in 1938. The dwelling has cut basaltic stone walls quarried from south Table Mountain with a clipped front gable roof...More->
  • Camp George West - Quarters, Building #71
    Architect George H. Merchant designed this one-story, 1827 sq. ft. bungalow built in 1938. The structure has cut basaltic stone walls quarried from South Table Mountain, a gabled roof with intersecti...More->
  • Camp George West - Rifle Range
    Rifle Range was the original name of the Colorado National Guard encampment now known as Camp George West. It was named so due to its origin as the guard's rifle range in 1898....More->
  • Camp George West - Stone Gates
    These c. 1932 stone and concrete gates flank the roadway entrance into the southern portion of Camp George West and are composed of fieldstone rubblework with stone pillars connected by a stone arch. ...More->
  • Camp George West - Tent Pads
    Poured in the 1930s, these flat concrete pads, square or rectangular in shape and of various sizes, contained circular holes into which tent poles were inserted for the erection of tents during summer...More->
  • Camp George West - Water Tower, Structure 63
    Built in 1922, the 50' tall water tower has four metal legs and braces. It is a tapered square tower with yellow/black checked design on a 20,000 gallon tank. The frame heater house within the leg...More->
  • Camp Neosho/Hiwan Homestead Museum
    This was the home of Canon C. Winfred Douglas, noted religious music composer of the Episcopal Church. His wife, Josepha, was one of Colorado's first women doctors. Their son, Eric Douglas, was curato...More->
  • Camp Neosho/Hiwan Ranch
    In the summer of 1886, John Spence was building a log barn on his 1200-acre property a mile from the Evergreen Stage & Stop store when Mrs. Williams, a prominent participant in the summer session Ever...More->
  • Canada Jewel Mine
    Source of name not learned. Mantioned in Crofutts' book, this mine was supposed to have been located somewhere near Buffalo Creek community before the turn of the century, exact location unknown....More->
  • Caprock Mine
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Carmody House
    Lakewood's only remaining stage stop is a white rectangular building on the crest of Old South Kipling Road. It was home to the Carmody family for over 55 years. Lawrence Carmody from County Kerry, Ir...More->
  • Carmody Junior High School
    Built in 1900(?) . Named for the Carmody family. The Carmody house was used as a stage stop until 1916. Mary and Lawrence Carmody bought 324 acres of the Kendrick ranch....More->
  • Carpenter Spring
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Carroll House
    Built in 1936, this originally was a one-story structure, later receiving a second floor and side addition....More->
  • Carr Street
    That portion north of Grandview Avenue was known colloquially as "Lover's Lane." Eighth Street, now Carr Street, began again at Ralston Road and extended north to West 74th Avenue. South of West 51st ...More->
  • Carter Lake
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Case House
    This home was one of many built in Golden in 1873, Golden's largest per capita building boom to date. It was constructed by Charles H. Case near the White Ash Coal Mine he ran at the time. The contr...More->
  • Cason Howell House
    When the Civil War broke out, Cason Howell, living in Missouri left with his son by horseback because he did not want to fight. He told his family they would meet again on the banks of the Cherry Cree...More->
  • Castle
    This rocky peak resembles a castle as it rises above Wellington Lake....More->
  • Castle Mountain Railway
    This funicular railway with big yellow cable cars, took people up to the top of Castle Rock. These funicular lines were popular for a time but abandoned in 1919-1923. This railway was built by Charl...More->
  • Castle Rock
    Castle Rock, a trademark for Coors, rises abruptly off the northwest side of South Table Mesa. Charles Quaintance built a dance pavilion in May, 1913. Quaintance had a string of burros across the s...More->
  • Casto Creek
    This creek runs from 1/2 mile northwest of Hwy. 285 at Richmond Hill Road across along Hwy 285 to Kennedy Gulch. It was named for Dr. Joseph Casto, a clergyman, co-founder of Mt. Vernon, a road buil...More->
  • Cathedral of the Rockies
    This building was originally a mortuary called Chapel of the Angels. Around 1992, it was converted to Cathedral of the Rockies, which lasted here approximately 5 years. Around 1996, it reverted back...More->
  • Cathedral Spires
    This peak was named for its similarity to a cathedral in design. The formation is a well known local landmark....More->
  • Cavenaugh Property
    In 1955 R.B. Stevenson & Company operated this open pit mine. Principle products were uranium ore, pitchblende, and some carnotite. Ore occurs in an upturned strata of sandstone which dips to the wes...More->
  • Cedar Street
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Cemetery Hill
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Centennial Cone
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Centennial Ranch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Center of Hope
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Central Firehouse/Public Restrooms
    The Central Firehouse, constructed of sandstone, was one of three volunteer fire houses in Golden. It later housed the City Hall offices and now houses the public restroom....More->
  • Centre Street
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Cervi Lease
    Operator Harvey A. Cervi. Work began on August 30, 1957, on this uranium prospect. Some 2,500 dozer cuts have opened up the land, averaging six feet in depth. Also extensive exploration drilling ha...More->
  • Chair Rocks
    This rock formation was named for the resemblance of two large chairs;also called "King and Queen Thrones." This was a very popular picnic spot until the U.S. Forest Service closed the access road in...More->
  • Chambers Barn
    The barn is a small, two-room structure with a loft which was probably used for hay storage (loft door) at one time. Some glass windows, others have been boarded up. The barn is believed to have be...More->
  • Champion Mine
    Located in 1883 by D.H. Dargin and by March 1884 shaft down 100 foot. Ore has iron carbonates....More->
  • Charles McLain Community School
    A new North Lakewood Grade School was built in 1947 at 20th Avenue and Hoyt Street, later converted to other educational uses, such as English as a second language, also G.E D. testing....More->
  • Chatfield Senior High School
    Located three blocks north of Ken Caryl Avenue on South Simms Street, this 35-acre site next to the Meadows Golf Course is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It opened in 1987 for grades...More->
  • Cheese Box School (Elementary)
    This building was long, narrow, and reminiscent of a cheese box or a match box. It was a one-story frame building with a large stove in the center of the room. It was built in 1900 and used until 1917...More->
  • Cheesman Dam
    This key structure in the Denver Water System is on the South Fork of the South Platte River approximately 48 miles from Denver by way of the River. This masonry dam was completed late 1904.The Denver...More->
  • Cheesman Dam Watchman's House
    This c. 1930s Watchman's House was built to replace the original that burned down. The structure is located 80 meters to the west from the northeast end of Cheesman Dam spillway. There is a path from ...More->
  • Cheesman Lake
    The lake was formed by construction of Cheesman Dam and named for Walter S. Cheesman, owner of the Denver Water Works and co-founder of the Denver Pacific Railroad....More->
  • Cheesman Post Office
    It was established March 5, 1900, during construction of Cheesman Dam. Closed Oct.31,1904, with mail sent to Buffalo Creek Post Office....More->
  • Cheney Gulch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Cherokee Trail
    Well known to the Indian tribes, this trail received its name in 1849 when the Cherokees followed it as part of their route from their Oklahoma reservation to the California gold fields. Route was al...More->
  • Cherry Gulch
    Cherry Gulch originates in the foothills where it is fed by a number of unnamed streams. It runs east for a little more than a mile through Matthews-Winters Park and joins Mount Vernon Creek just wes...More->
  • Cherry Street
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Cheyenne Hill
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Chicken Creek
    Only about two miles long, Chicken Creek joins Cub Creek at Brook Forest. Name origin unknown....More->
  • Chief Hosa Lodge and Campground
    Chief Hosa Lodge was designed by architect J.J. Benedict and built in 1918 by the City and County of Denver as part of "Denver Mountain Parks." It is a large rustic building of native stone and timb...More->
  • Chieftain Mine
    This clay pit mine dates from 1947 on land that was once part of the historic Rooney Ranch. It was never a large scale operation and had no connection with the Rooney family....More->
  • Chimney Gulch
    Evergreen Quad: Section 6, Township 4S, Range 70W. Ralston Buttes Quad: Section 31, Township 3S, Range 70W. This was a stop on the Colorado Central Railroad. See Evergreen Quad - Railroad Bridges and ...More->
  • Chimney Gulch Road
    from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004: Chimney Gulch Road/New York Trail (1872) This road ascended Chimney Gulch southeast of Golden and ran to the New York Ranch at Mount Vernon Canyon. ...More->
  • Christian Church
    The Christian Church was organized c. 1868. In 1870 the congregation purchased a lot on the north side of Clear Creek for the sum of $225.00. In May, 1873, under the direction of Berty Stover, a churc...More->
  • Christmas Hill Subdivision
    This subdivision has 18 homes and a church, The Little Chapel in the Hills. A private residence, La Hacienda, has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places....More->
  • Christ the King Episcopal Church
    This Church was organized in April 1956. Members met at Arvada High School and Clear Creek Valley Grange Hall until services were held in the new church building on September 11, 1960. The first pasto...More->
  • Church Ditch
    Located in Water District #7 and under Priority #40, 2-18-1865 and #62, 11-18-1877, this ditch diverts water from the north bank of Clear Creek. Claimants in 1884 were the Golden City and Ralston Cree...More->
  • Churches Ditch
    This ditch was in Water District #7 (Priorities #16, 5-31-1868 and #19, 5-20-1873). Claimant in 1884 was John Churches. The area where the ditch originated, from south bank of Ralston Creek, is now un...More->
  • Churches Lake
    Claimant for adjudication in 1884 was John Churches. Located in Water District #7, the lake is filled from Ralston Creek via Churches Ditch, which has a headgate on the south bank of Ralston Creek in ...More->
  • Churches Pit
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Churches Ranch
    John C. Churches (1823-1910), traveled by ox team with Asahel Haines and John Huggins to the goldfields in 1859. The family surname, Churchhouse, was changed to Churches after the family settled on a...More->
  • Churches Ranch Historic Barn
    The 1864 barn was constructed in a vernacular masonry style using stone, wood and tile. The 1 1/2 story barn contains 3300 square feet. John C. Churches files a Homestead application for this land in...More->
  • Churches Stage Stop
    Named for John C. Churches, who built the stage stop for travelers in the 1860s. The buildings were still standing in 1998 and were owned by the Denver Water Board. Churches was born in Somerset, Engl...More->
  • Church Lake
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Church of the Nazarene
    The church was built in 1924 by Pastor T. P. Dunn, between 10th St. and Clear Creek at the site of the present chamber of commerce booth. The church was a white frame building. The congregation was co...More->
  • Church of the Transfiguration
    In 1871 the Stewart Hotel was the locale for the First Episcopal services in the area. In 1897 regular services began in the hotel building and in 1899 the name became "The Mission of the Transfigurat...More->
  • Church Ranch and Farm
    George Henry Church homesteaded 240 acres in 1870. Here a cattle ranch and wheat farm was in operation over 100 years and in 1989 was designated as a Centennial Farm by the State Historical Society. A...More->
  • Church Ranch Boulevard
    Church Ranch Boulevard was completed on June 6, 1990 by Charles McKay, a descendant of George Henry Church family. McKay named the Boulevard for the members of the Church family as Phase #1 of the de...More->
  • Church Ranch Way
    Church Ranch Way, phase #2 of the Church thoroughfares, was completed in 1997 and named by Charles McKay for the Church family. Phase #2 was completed by Jefferson County and the City of Westminster....More->
  • Church's Stage Stop
    Pioneer George Henry Church built a 12-room house for stage passengers on their first stop-over out of Denver. This stage stop was also called Twelve- Mile House, the distance between Denver and Churc...More->
  • Church Street
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Cirino Heliport
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Citizens Park
    The park was dedicated in 1978. It was refined by the local citizens who donated and planted trees and shrubs along the greenbelt....More->
  • Civil War Well
    This c. 1862 small wooden well stood in the middle of the main road from Bergen Park to Hutchinson-Bradford Junction (now Conifer). A local landmark for many years, the new route for the main road pa...More->
  • Clark & Brown Ditch
    This ditch is located in Water District #7. Claimants in 1884 were Charles Brown and John Clark. It originates from the north bank of Ralston Creek and has Ralston Creek Priority #13, dating from Ma...More->
  • Clark Homestead/Humphrey House
    This original 27' by 27' square two-story log house was constructed by John J. Clark in 1883. It consisted of a living room, dining room, and kitchen downstairs and three bedrooms on the second floor...More->
  • Clark Street
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Claus & Couch Ditch
    The ditch is in Water District #7. The headgates are on south bank of Clear Creek. Claimants in 1884 were Fred Claus and S. E. Couch. State Engineer's "Water Rights Report," show all the rights (#12 ...More->
  • Clay
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Clayton College Boys Camp
    George W. Clayton of Clayton College in Denver leased ground for the camp in 1930 from the U.S. Forest Service. It closed in the late 1940s and later became the site of Buffalo Creek Campground....More->
  • Clear Creek
    Clear Creek received its present name during the summer gold rush days of 1859. The earliest prospectors referred to it as Vasquez Fork, the name it had held since the 1830s, and the name was changed...More->
  • Clear Creek Canyon
    This major east-west Front Range canyon through which Clear Creek River flows is about 12 miles long. Colorado Central Railroad completed laying track through the canyon in September 1872. The track w...More->
  • Clear Creek Canyon Toll Gate
    Received legislative authorization March 8, 1864; "'Clear Creek and Guy Gulch Wagon Road Company.' Authorization to operate parallel with and to cross Golden Gate Gregory Road." "In 1862, W.A.H. Lovel...More->
  • Clear Creek & Guy Gulch Wagon Road
    from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004: Clear Creek & Guy Gulch Wagon Road (1864) This road traveled through Guy Gulch, connecting Clear Creek Canyon with the Gregory Road up Golden Gate Canyon. ...More->
  • Clear Creek Junction
    Known as sub-power station, prior to Clear Creek Junction and commonly known as "The Junction." A descriptive name for the two routes was "The Wishbone." Car #82 was Routed to Leyden and Car #84 was r...More->
  • Clear Creek Land Conservancy
    After enjoying the Apex Trail, and Rilliet Park as a child and teenager, Denver native Carla Swan began purchasing land on Lookout Mountain to preserve it. In 1986, she established the Clear Creek L...More->
  • Clear Creek Sanitation District
    The district was organized in 1952 and serves the area north of Clear Creek to 54th Avenue and as far east as Dudley Street and west to Parfet Street....More->
  • Clear Creek Valley Baptist Church
    The name is descriptive of the location. The church was originally Clear Creek Valley Church organized in 1890. In 1892 the name was changed to Alathe Church. In 1905 the faltering congregation became...More->
  • Clear Creek Valley Grange
    The third grange formed in the Arvada area was Clear Creek Valley Grange, No. 4, chartered December 9, 1873. The grange building, constructed in 1874, was the oldest building in Olde Town Arvada. This...More->
  • Clear Creek Wagon Road
    from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004: Clear Creek Wagon Road (1862) This road branched from Bergen Park westward to cross Floyd’s Ranch to the Beaver Creek crossing of the Central City – Mount...More->
  • Cliff-Cliffdale
    The Colorado & Southern Railroad made a stop at Cliffdale. It was in existence in 1905 and owned by Mr. and Mrs. John King who operated a family hotel with 6 cabins as well as being in charge of the...More->
  • Cliff House
    Built in 1873 by George P. Morrison for his family home when he moved from Mount Vernon. The main building is three stories, built of alternating blocks of finished red sandstone (from the adjacent Mo...More->
  • Cliff Springs
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Clifton House
    Built in the 1800s by Rudolph Poltz, grandfather of the Long brothers who own the Long Brothers Garage at the present time. The structure was operated as a hotel by Charles Long and his wife. In 1888,...More->
  • Cloudcrest
    Two private residents with access by car across a bridge over the river. They were originally owned by a Mr. Jordon and sold to Henry Nadirff then resold several times.A post office was supposedly her...More->
  • Cloudcrest Post Office
    It was established Apr. 15,1916, with Lewis O. Watson as postmaster and discontinued Oct.15,1918, with mail sent to Buffalo Creek Post Office....More->
  • Cloudcrest Vacation Homes
    Two private residences are located across the North Fork of the South Platte River with access by car over a bridge. They were originally owned by a Mr. Jordon, then sold to Henry Nadorff, then resold...More->
  • Clover Knoll Ditch
    Located south of Mississippi Avenue and east of Wadsworth Boulevard. Caroline Bancroft's grandfather.......More->
  • Club Crest Park
    Club Crest Park was one of the several parks designed and constructed to have native grass areas. The entire area north and east of Club Crest Drive, the east edge south of Club Crest Drive and the ba...More->
  • Club Crest South
    Club Crest South is a 40-foot-wide greenbelt and 170.81 acres in length. The vacation for the greenbelt originated about 1975....More->
  • Coal Creek
    The name probably was adopted in the mid 1800s because there were coal mines producing there for a time....More->
  • Coal Creek & Black Hawk Wagon Road
    from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004: Coal Creek & Black Hawk Wagon Road (1866) This road connected upper Coal Creek Canyon with the road between Nederland and Black Hawk. The seven-mile-long Ra...More->
  • Coal Creek District
    The Coal Creek District was one of 4 copper mining districts operating in Jefferson County during the 1870s. Its mines included the Partridge....More->
  • Coal Creek Peak
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Coal Creek Peak Historic Structures
    This is an extensive complex of historic features that includes stone foundations and pads, retaining walls and check dams, cistern, building rubble, and abandoned mining equipment. Most of the featu...More->
  • Coal Creek School
    Built in 1962. Designed to complement the ruggedness of mountains, the roof was sloped to accommodate northwest wind patterns....More->
  • Cockran House
    Built ca. 1885. Lizzie C. Kirby was the first on abstract records. Charles Cockran, 1919, followed. His wife, Daisy Brachman, was from an old family of pioneers from Evergreen. Lizzie Kirby's husb...More->
  • Cody Street
    This street was named for William "Buffalo Bill" Cody, who is buried on Lookout Mountain in Jefferson County. This street came into being when the first Hoskinson subdivision was initiated after 1949....More->
  • Coit House
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Cold Spring
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Cold Spring Gulch
    The gulch begins just northwest of Interstate 70 about one mile northeast of El Rancho and runs southeasterly to join Bear Creek about two miles northeast of Kittredge. Name is probably descriptive of...More->
  • Coleman Gulch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • College Avenue
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Collum House
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Colonial Hotel/ Beta Theta Pi Sorority House
    E.T. (Gene) and Sarah Belk Rutherford built the house in 1905 as a fraternity house for the Colorado School of Mines. Later it became a bed and breakfast and is presently the Beta Theta Pi Sorority H...More->
  • Colorado Catholic Academy
    The school was established in 1974. The curricula is college prep and grades 1-12. "Loyal to Papal teaching" is the philosophy of the school....More->
  • Colorado Central Railroad
    The Colorado Central was the first railroad corporation in Colorado, organized in 1865. By December, 1870, the "Iron Horse" reached the community of Arvada. The line had been finished to Golden, and...More->
  • Colorado Central Railroad Freight Office
    This Colorado Central Railroad brick freight office was erected in 1872. The building has a crude foundations and is probably the last existing structure in Jefferson County by the Colorado Central R...More->
  • Colorado Company, Ltd. Coal Mine
    Incorporated 1878; capital stock, $500,000, Andrew McKinney, pres., William A.H. Loveland, general manager. The property is located on the Colorado Central Railroad, within the limits of Golden, and ...More->
  • Colorado & Pacific Wagon Road
    from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004: Colorado & Pacific Wagon, Telegraph & Railroad Company (1861) William A. H. Loveland with other investors constructed this road up Clear Creek Canyon to Idaho...More->
  • Colorado Railroad Museum
    The Colorado Railroad Museum had its beginning in 1950. Co-founder Robert W. Richardson began accumulating railroad artifacts at Alamosa. Richardson believed too little was being done to save the bu...More->
  • Colorado Railroad Museum - Locomotive 683
    Built in 1890 and important for its association with Colorado railroad history and for its engineering significance, No. 683 was one of the early locomotives acquired by the D&RGW when converting its ...More->
  • Colorado School of Mines - Alderson Hall
    This building was completed in 1953 at a cost of $1,200,000. It was dedicated to Victor C. Alderson, who was president of the Colorado School of Mines from 1903-1913 and again from 1917-1925. It is ...More->
  • Colorado School of Mines - Berthoud Hall
    Berthoud Hall was designed by Temple Hoyne Buell, who became a very well known and well regarded architect. The construction of the building was a project of the WPA, a Federal program that helped pu...More->
  • Colorado School of Mines - Bradford Hall
    This building was opened on September 8, 1954. There is nothing exceptional about this building other than it is the first building on the Colorado School of Mines campus to be built specifically as ...More->
  • Colorado School of Mines - Brooks Field
    The field is built in an oval shape as many fields built for football are. The center section, the length of the football field, was built in 1922 with a $5,000 contribution from Ralph D. Brooks. Mr...More->
  • Colorado School of Mines - Brown Hall
    In keeping with the diversity of building appearances on the Colorado School of Mines campus, this building's appearance is different from any of the others. The designers, Lamar Kelsey and Associate...More->
  • Colorado School of Mines - Chauvenet Hall
    Chauvenet Hall is an early example of recycling. It is the result of combining two turn-of-the-century buildings into one building in which to teach mining at the Colorado School of Mines. The conve...More->
  • Colorado School of Mines - Coolbaugh Hall
    This building, opened in September 1952 and designed by Fuller, Fuller and Fuller, an architectural firm that has served the Colorado School of Mines for three generations, is one of beige brick and g...More->
  • Colorado School of Mines - Guggenheim Hall
    Guggenheim Hall is named in honor of Simon Guggenheim. Mr. Guggenheim and his family controlled a majority of the smelting business in the country. Because of this, he realized the importance of a s...More->
  • Colorado School of Mines - Hill Hall
    Hill Hall was completed in late 1958, but classes weren't held in the building until the fall semester of 1959. The building, designed by Fuller, Fuller and Fuller, was built for the purpose of teach...More->
  • Colorado School of Mines - Meyer Hall
    This building, built in 1963 and dedicated to the memory of Dr. Paul Meyer in 1964, houses the Physics Department of the Colorado School of Mines. The building's appearance is unremarkable, unlike th...More->
  • Colorado School of Mines - Stratton Hall
    Stratton Hall was named for W.S. Stratton, who came to Colorado in 1868 and settled in Colorado Springs. He was a carpenter, and he also did some prospecting. He worked as a carpenter or mechanic or...More->
  • Colorado Trail 1776
    Segments 1-2-3: "Begins at Waterton Canyon, passes Strontia Reservoir, South Platte townsite, a view of Chair Rocks, Top of the World Campground, and a view of Long Scraggy Peak...follow trail to Coun...More->
  • Colorado Transcript Building
    This building was built in 1870 by George West and Dr. James Kelly. West used the second floor for his newspaper, "The Colorado Transcript," and Kelly used the main floor for his drug store. West bo...More->
  • Colorow Cave
    This is a large cave which was used by the Ute Indians lead by Chief Colorow. It is located in the large red rock outcroppings that also form Red Rocks Park....More->
  • Colorow Elementary School
    Located east of Kipling and south of West Bowles, this school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It was built in 1977 for grades K-6 with a capacity of 756. It was named for the Ute I...More->
  • Colorow Hill
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Colorow Point
    "Colorow" was a Ute Indian Chief who frequented the foothills during the 1880s until the early 20th century. The City of Denver purchased .37 acre off Colorow Road on Lookout Mountain in 1915. This...More->
  • Colorow Point Park
    This Denver Mountain Park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF644) on November 15, 1990....More->
  • Columbia Heights Elementary School
    An elementary school in Wheat Ridge Public Schools District #8. Built in 1909. Named for subdivision where located. 1924, moved to new building across the street 3227 Chase (5451 W. 32nd Ave. became a...More->
  • Columbia Heights Volunteer Fire Department
    The Columbia Heights Civic Association organized the Columbia Heights Volunteer Fire Department in 1945. It included the area from Sheridan Boulevard to Harlan Street, 29th Avenue to 33rd Avenue. A ...More->
  • Columbine Airport
    Attached photos of hangar after it collapsed from the weight of a heavy snow storm in 1965....More->
  • Columbine High School
    Located on South Pierce Street south of West Bowles, this school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It opened in 1973 for grades 9-12 with a capacity of 1652 and had an addition built...More->
  • Columbine Hills Elementary School
    Located four blocks south of Ken Caryl Avenue and three blocks east of South Kendall Boulevard, this school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It opened in 1963 for grades K-6 with a ...More->
  • Columbine Library
    Located one-half mile east of Wadsworth and one-half mile west of South Pierce in Clement Park, this library was built by Jefferson County on property purchased with Open Space funds when Clement Park...More->
  • Columbine Mine
    Operator Robert E Harper, owner Jerry DeDuce, Principal product fluorspar 51.74 pounds. Two men working mine....More->
  • Columbine Park
    North Jeffco purchased the property for Columbine Park from Awalt Black and Frances Marie Black in 1963. The lake at Columbine Park was built when the park was redeveloped with funds provided by the 1...More->
  • Columbine School
    Columbine School was built in 1916. The building was sold and expanded into a private home in 1948....More->
  • Community Baptist Church
    Interested members first met in private homes and later met in the auditorium of Arvada High School. The church was established on February 6, 1957. The first service in the building at 6205 Garrison ...More->
  • Community Ditch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Conant, Eugene F./McNulty House
    This c. 1882 1-1/2 story, red brick, front fabled house built by Eugene F. Conant. Conant was at different times secretary and general manager of the Lee-Kinsey Implement Company. William H. Brophy...More->
  • Concordia Church
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Conduit No. 20 Tunnel
    Owned by City of Denver and operated by Board of Water Commissioners. This tunnel is part of a water diversionary project. It was driven through a low hill and the total length is 2,860 feet. The f...More->
  • Conifer
    Located on US Highway 285 at its junction with Highway 73, Pleasant Park Road and Foxton Road. Probably named for the abundance of conifer trees in the area. Before 1894 Conifer was known as Bradford ...More->
  • Conifer Cemetery
    This is a family and community cemetery, with the first marked burial dating 1889. Several local pioneer family names represented are Long, Blakeslee, Cruse, Kemp, Fitzsimmons, Ramboz and McQueary....More->
  • Conifer High School
    The $15,000,000 school opened in 1996 on a 103-acre campus with 34 acres developed and occupied. The technology oriented school offers classes from Red Rocks Community College, a public library, a c...More->
  • Conifer Libraries
    The first Conifer library was established by the Conifer Civic Club in the milk house at the Meyer Ranch in 1953. The library was later located in the Conifer Junction School ("The Little White School...More->
  • Conifer Mountain Subdivision
    A subdivision platted in 1970 by Geneva Basin Ski Corporation, Walter Burke and Roy Romer the developers. Romer later served as a three term governor of Colorado, 1986-1998. Name came from nearby comm...More->
  • Consolidated Mutual Water Company
    Much of the southern area of Wheatridge is served by this company including the Oakes Mutual Water Company, W. 32nd Avenue at Allison and the John Olson well at 29th Avenue and Wadsworth Boulevard....More->
  • Cook House
    Built in 1939, this one-story, vernacular, wood frame, 750 sq. ft., L-shaped house has a steeply pitched gable roof with an open porch on the front west facade. The clapboard sided house's windows are...More->
  • Cook Reservoir
    An outlet of Hyatt Lake's overflow. This reservoir has an appropriation date January 24, 1893. Over the years it has been referred to locally as "Moreland" or "Newman" Reservoir because of the loc...More->
  • Cooper/Murray House
    This small one story, wood frame house was built in 1894. The house was built in Prince's re-subdivision of the Lakeside Subdivision for Isabel Cooper in 1894, who originally owned lots 29-32. In Sept...More->
  • Coors Brewery
    Today's world's largest single-source brewery, Coors Brewery is a concrete walled plant covering some 3,400 acres. Coors is a major industry for Golden producing over 20 million barrels of "suds" pe...More->
  • Coors Building
    The Coors Building was built by Perre O. Unger and William A. Wortham in 1906. The two-and-one-half-story, mansard-roofed commercial emporium in pressed red brick is one of the city's best preserved ...More->
  • Coors Plateau
    This feature was probably named due to the fact that it overlooks the grounds of the nearby Coors Brewery and Coors Technology Center. It was the first land on North Table Mountain purchased for Jeff...More->
  • Copper Creek Mining Company
    The property is developed by shaft 354 feet deep. No. one level is 65 feet below the surface. They are starting to run a drift east at this level, which is all the work being done on the mine in 1918;...More->
  • Corbin Ranch
    Homesteaded in late 1880s by Henry Corbin, a Mr. Ammon and a Mr. Kayser. The present owners' year-round home was built around the one-room log house where the ranch children attended school and anothe...More->
  • Coronado Elementary School
    This school is part of Jefferson County R1 School District. It opened in August 1987 for grades K-6 with a capacity of 650. It was named for the Spanish explorer Francisco Vazquez de Coronado....More->
  • Cort & Graves Ditch
    Located in Water District #7, this ditch diverts water from Clear Creek's south bank under Priority #35, May 1, 1864. Claimants in 1884 were area farmers Simon Cort and Oliver Graves....More->
  • Cort, Graves & Hughes Ditch
    Located in Water District #7, under Priority #10 (4-30-1861). This ditch diverts water from Clear Creek out of the north bank of Clear Creek. Claimants in 1884 were Simon Cort, John Hughes, J.N. Pace...More->
  • Corwina Park
    Listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF643) on December 28, 1990, this Denver Mountain Park of 297 acres, was one of the city's early acquisitions. Located off Highway 74, it has pla...More->
  • Country Store
    Morrison's first newspaper, "The Bud", was in existence from 1888 to 1899. Built in the 1880s, it was occupied by Judge Babcock as a dwelling. It also was a meat market run by Tom Morrison, son of the...More->
  • Covenant Presbyterian Church
    The congregation was organized in 1953-1954. They first met at Mountain View Elementary School. The church building was completed in 1955. The name means: "Covenant: a solemn pledge of members to main...More->
  • Craig, Katherine, Park
    Although included by Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., in his Mountain Park System of 1914, the land was not acquired until 1935. The park served as a Civilian Conservation Corps Camp from 1937 to 1941. Sur...More->
  • Crawford Gulch
    About 1.5 miles long, Crawford Gulch drains on the south side of Bowser Hill. Origin of name is unknown. It is currently used by the post office to designate a mail delivery route extending from Tucke...More->
  • Creation Rock
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Creek Road
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Cressman's Gulch
    This is a tributary (left hand) of Tucker Gulch, headwaters only. It is about one-half mile north of Half Mile Gulch and was named for an early homesteader....More->
  • Cresswell
    A location, stage stop, tavern, and post office, Cresswell was located on what is now Cty. Rd. 65 about one-half mile northwest of Bergen Park. Cresswell was owned by W.G. Ames, was built c.1860 and ...More->
  • Cresswell Mine
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Cresswell Subdivision
    An early subdivision platted in 1884 and located about one-half mile northwest of Bergen Park on Cty. Rd. 65....More->
  • Crews House
    Built c. 1914, this one-and-a-half-story rectangular, side-gabled dwelling has an enclosed porch on its west (rear) side. Stairs lead to the front entry door, which is in the center of the east wall....More->
  • Crisman Gulch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Critchell
    The town was platted Sept.10,1897, shortly after Charles Redfield Critchell and Associates formed the Cuillard Townsite Mining and Milling Co. In 1900, it was predicted that Critchell would become a...More->
  • Critchell School
    An early school opened for school children in the early 1880s until the Lamb School opened in 1887. The Lamb School was located on a high knoll south of Phillipsburg. Classes were held only during spr...More->
  • Croke Canal
    Traversing through part of Water District #7, this canal originates from north bank of Clear Creek near Golden and flows north and east to Standley Lake. Claimants in 1936 for adjudication were Farmer...More->
  • Croke Canal Trail
    An element of Jefferson County Open Space Trails Master Plan was adopted by the County Commissioners in 1977. The major north-south Croke Canal Corridor runs 15 miles from Standley Lake, south to Gold...More->
  • Crosson (Crossons) Post Office
    The town's name came from its postmaster, Terry Crosson, as recorded in 1879. William J. Haughtaling was post master on April 16,1885, and the post office closed August 25,1885, with mail sent to Est...More->
  • Crosson or Crossons
    This was the location of a gold mine in c. 1878 and a stop on the Colorado & Southern R.R. until 1937 when the line was discontinued. Few remains of buildings are left and the property is owned by a ...More->
  • Crow Hill
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Crow, Maggie House
    Built ca. 1872. Maggie Crow carried mail on horseback from Morrison into surrounding mountains. She had two sons, Vernon and Floyd. Her husband, Mr. W.L. Crow, came to Colorado in 1872....More->
  • Crown Hill Cemetery
    The name is descriptive of the site on "crown of hill." The cemetery is on part of the Henry Lee homestead and was purchased from Margaret Lee in 1908. Filled incorporation officers: Delos Chapel, Hug...More->
  • Crown Hill Ditch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Crown Hill Lake
    Claimant in 1936 was the Crown Hill Cemetery Association. Construction was begun April 1908. Located in Water District #7, the lake is filled from Clear Creek via the Agricultural Ditch into the Le...More->
  • Crown Hill Park and Lake
    The western part of Crown Hill Cemetery property was purchased with Open Space funds by Jefferson County, Wheat Ridge, and Lakewood. This is a part of the Henry Lee Homestead. The shallow lake was dem...More->
  • Crystal Lake
    Ice was harvested from the lake around 1900 and transported to Denver via the Denver & Southern Railroad's narrow-gauge train until 1937 when the line was discontinued. 200 pound blocks were loaded ...More->
  • Crystal Lake Post Office
    Postmaster was George W. Wood, as recorded June 28,1892, and discontinued November 2, 1894, with mail sent to the Pine Post Office....More->
  • Crystal Springs
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • CSMRI
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Cub Creek
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Cub Creek District
    Cub Creek District was one of 4 copper mine districts in Jefferson County during the 1870s. Its mines included the Alps, Pocahontas and Woodbine....More->
  • Cub Creek Park
    A Denver Mountain Park of 549 acres acquired in 1922; it has picnic and recreational areas. It is accessible from Little Cub Creek Road and is named for that creek....More->
  • Cub Creek & South Park Road
    from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004: Cub Creek & South Park Road (1875) This road was built from the mouth of Cub Creek Canyon to the canyon head, then continued southwest to join the Bradford Ro...More->
  • Curt LaGrow House
    Built ca. 1913 by Jenne Cowan and a little girl neighbor, Bertha Marie Hebrew, who was 13 years old. Mary LaGrow bought it for her son, Curt, when he got married about 1920....More->
 


Send questions or comments about this Web Site to Planning and Zoning.