• Kafadar Commons
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Kassler Treatment Plant
    In 1904, the Denver Union Water Company built a sand filtering plant 1/2 mile east of Waterton. The name was later changed to Kassler, after G.W. Kassler, president of the Denver Union Water Company ...More->
  • Katherine Craig Park
    The Hugh T. Craig settled in Mt. Vernon Canyon from Virginia from 1870. They left a legacy of much open land that became granted to the City of Denver or purchased by Mt. Vernon Country Club. Katheri...More->
  • Kelly Lake
    This Water District #7 lake was named for Dr. James Kelly, who owned farm land at this location. Claimants for adjudication in 1936 were Christ Weber, Louisa Weber, S.A. Mohart, and W.S. Wilcoxen. Thi...More->
  • Kelly Mansion
    Built in 1879 by contractor D.M. Orr for Dr. James Kelly, this two-story, brick, 3,392-square-foot house contained six large rooms and cost $8,000. Dr. Kelly died at the age of 88 from a fall in the...More->
  • Kemp Cemetery
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Ken-Caryl Junior High School
    This school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It was opened in 1970 for grades seven and eight with a capacity of 800. It was named for the nearby Ken-Caryl Ranch....More->
  • Ken Caryl Lease Open Pit Mine
    In 1953 this open pit mine operated 150 days with two men. 40 feet wide and 70 long and 32 feet deep with nearly vertical walls, it produced feldspar, beryl, and mica. In 1953 the mine produced 86 to...More->
  • Ken-Caryl Ranch
    The population in 1980 was 10,661. Bradford House ruins are all that remain of the town of Bradford, founded by Major Robert B. Bradford in the 1860s. The name Ken-Caryl was from the names Kent and C...More->
  • Ken-Caryl Ranch House
    Built in 1976, it was originally the sales office for Ken-Caryl Ranch. Today it is the headquarters of activity for the Ken-Caryl Ranch Master Association and the Ken-Caryl Metropolitan District. Ken-...More->
  • Kendall/Peterson House
    A wood frame, 58 feet by 24 feet, Tudor Revival house. The building plan is a modified U-shape topped by an intersecting gable roof and faced with brick....More->
  • Kendrick Park
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Kennedy Gulch
    Begins about one mile southwest of Conifer and runs in a generally southeast direction following Foxton Road from Highway 285 to the North Fork of the South Platte River three-quarters of a mile north...More->
  • Kenneys Creek
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Kerr Gulch
    A gulch beginning between Bergen Park and Hidden Valley and running southeast to join Bear Creak about a mile east of Kittredge. Kerr Gulch joins Swede Gulch about 1-1/2 miles northwest of Kittredge. ...More->
  • Kestrel Pond
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Ketner Dam
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Ketner Reservoir
    This Water District #7 reservoir was named for W.H. Ketner, a former area dairy farmer....More->
  • Kimball House
    Built in 1877, this two-story brick house with eight rooms remained with the Kimball family for more than forty five years. Until 1977, it occupied two full lots. The original owner, George K. Kimba...More->
  • Kimbrough House
    The Kimbrough Home, 5591 Carr Street, was built in 1907 by the Denver Shale Brick Company. George and Clara Bell (Swadley) Kimbrough inherited the brickyard property at Oberon and Carr Streets when Cl...More->
  • KIMN Radio Station
    The call letters meant, "Key to the Inter-Mountain Network". KIMN was the largest independent station in the Denver area. KIMN began broadcasting from the Albany Hotel. As the station expanded, it ...More->
  • King of Glory Lutheran Church
    The church was organized on Palm Sunday, 1958. Services were held in schools until Valentines Day, 1960 when services were held in the new church building. Charles W. Hoenig was the first pastor and s...More->
  • Kingsbury Reservoir
    Claimant in 1936 was E.H. Kingsbury. Construction was started September 1, 1888, and filled with water diverted from Clear Creek via Farmers High Line Canal and Bright & Brown Lateral. Abandoned Febr...More->
  • King Street
    King Street was named after a prominent pioneer merchant of Golden. It was renamed in 1904 by city ordinance to 7th Street. Owing to construction of Highway 58, only 3 blocks remain today....More->
  • Kinnear Reservoir
    It was named for John S. Kinnear, land owner. The Water District #7 reservoir has a appropriation date of March 4, 1902, with water diverted out of Coal Creek....More->
  • Kinney Run
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Kipling Street
    From 38th Ave. to Ridge Rd., this street was originally named for Carson Howell, a veteran of the 1864 Sand Creek Massacre, who settled in 1860 in Jefferson County. Today, this street is named for t...More->
  • Kirkley/Miles House
    This 1904 1-1/2 story, front gabled, brick 1,260 sq. ft. bungalow was built by Otto and Alice Kirkley. Kirkley was a clerk at W.A. Hover & Company....More->
  • Kittredge Community Church
    Established in 1955 as the Kittredge Union Church. The building was constructed by Justis Roehling in 1925 and was the Kittredge Elementary School building until 1967 when it was deeded to the church....More->
  • Kittredge School
    From the Golden Globe of March 3, 1884: "District 3 election next May to vote for tax for new school building." The school was built, a red one-room frame structure. It was a school without a name, bu...More->
  • Kittredge, Unincorporated Town
    Located on Highway 74 between Morrison and Evergreen. Platted in 1920 by The Kittredge Land Company which bought 300 acres of the Luther Ranch. Charles M. Kittredge applied for a Post Office in 1921, ...More->
  • Kiwanis Reservation
    A Denver Kiwanis Club committee purchased a 240-acre tract east of Genesee Mountain in the mid-1920s. A platt allowed as many as 370 summer cabins, a summer camp for underprivileged children, a golf...More->
  • Knolls' House
    Built ca. 1888. Dr. Frank Luce lived here when he came from Denver in 1890. Around 1915 he moved to the house next door. Mrs. Effie Knolls lived here after she married James Knolls. Effie May's pa...More->
  • Knox Railroad
    This brief connection for the Golden and Ralston Railroad was established in 1878, on the west side of North Table mountain to Murphy Coal mine. To accommodate traffic originating on the "Knox Branch...More->
  • Koch Gulch
    About one mile long. Named for Ernest S. Koch who homesteaded in the gulch in 1862. The original buildings are in ruins, but the large red brick house c. 1900 is still standing. The road through Koch ...More->
  • Koenig House
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Korean Presbyterian Church
    This church was established in September 1971, and the Northern American Baptist Church, at the above address, was purchased in 1983. Rev. Woong Kil was the first pastor....More->
  • Koser Spring
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Kountze Lake
    Charles B. Kountze was one of Denver's pioneer bankers and had extensive land holdings in the Alameda area, including a portion of the Belmar Estate where Kountze Lake bears his name. In 1971, five h...More->
  • Krinder Peak
    Name, with a slight change in spelling, from John Krynders who homesteaded land adjoining the peak....More->
  • Kuehster Cemetery
    This was a private family plot, with the first burial in 1882. Presently not in use, but it is still maintained by members of the Kuehster family....More->
  • Kuehster Ranch
    Frederick Kuehster came to the vicinity in 1875 and built a two-story frame structure in 1877 with a dry wall cellar and several log outbuildings. The property was named the Kuehster Ranch. This hom...More->
  • Kullerstrand Elementary School
    Land purchased in 1959. School opened on February 3, 1961, and was dedicated May 22, 1961. Named for pioneer, Hattie Kullerstrand, an active supporter of schools and education throughout her life time...More->
  • L.A. Addenbrooke Farm
    The original house was built in 1890 (16' x 16' feet). The old barn was built 1891 to 1893 with red spruce from Evergreen. The original 180 acres was an Union Pacific Railroad Grant, adjacent to Bra...More->
  • Ladwig #2 Mine
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Ladwig Properties Mine
    In 1963 this uranium mine was operated by the Cotter Corporation and operated with two men for 50 days. In 1975 this mine was operated by the Reserve Oil and Mineral Corp. for 90 days with four emplo...More->
  • Lady Belle Mine
    In 1876 operated by South Deer Creek Mining Co. showed a crevice of galena ore....More->
  • Ladybug Park
    Ladybug Park was one of the City Parks approved in the 1974 referendum. The name was suggested to the Board by a neighborhood child and accepted by City Council, March 22, 1976....More->
  • LaGrow, Lawrence E. House
    Built ca. 1870. The LaGrow family occupied this house until 1975. Additions were made as the family grew. Mr. LaGrow came from Gillsburg, Illinois in 1868. Andy Jordon (his brother-in-law) also li...More->
  • La Hacienda
    It was built in 1900 by John L. J. Jerome, who engaged architect Frederick J. Sterner to design a large two-story shingle house along with five additional structures. It was decorated in the William M...More->
  • Lair 'O The Bear Park
    A Jefferson County Open Space Public Park of 316 acres acquired in 1987 along and south of Bear Creek just west of Idledale. It has 1-1/2 miles of Bear Creek stream frontage. Named by subdividers; sou...More->
  • Lake Arbor
    This lake is in a natural drainage area dating from farm irrigation days of early times in Arvada. It has been improved and incorporated into part of Lake Arbor Park, and both received their names fr...More->
  • Lake Arbor Golf Course
    In June 1974, the City of Arvada purchased the lease for Lake Arbor Golf Course at a Small Business Administration Foreclosure Auction and sublet the operation as a public course to Top Golf, Inc. In ...More->
  • Lake Arbor Lake Park
    Lake Arbor Lake was the last of the city's 30 bond issue parks to be completed in 1977. A Resolution authorizing the Mayor and Arvada City Clerk to execute a contract to purchase Real Estate at Lake A...More->
  • Lake Arbor Recreation Center
    Lake Arbor Recreation Center includes a swimming pool, gym, game rooms, concessions and was approved by City Council October 19, 1970. This is a City owned center, and was funded by City's share of Op...More->
  • Lakecrest Park
    Lakecrest Park was introduced by the City of Arvada in 1985 as a park/school facility, and was dedicated a year later. By 1992, the park's name had been changed to Northey Park, which was dedicated wi...More->
  • Lakeside
    The city of Lakeside includes Lakeside Amusement Park, race track, Shopping Center (first in Jefferson County and now demolished), and Lake Rhoda. The name chosen by Adolph Zang in 1907. Lakeside was ...More->
  • Lakeside Shopping Center
    In 1955 incorporated by Jerry Von Frellick, consisting of 58 acres. Opened August 1956. Denver Dry Goods Co and Montgomery Wards key occupants. this was the first shopping center in Jefferson County. ...More->
  • Lakeside Station
    The incorporation of the Town of Lakeside and Lakeside Amusement Park in 1908 prompted the name change of the station from Berkeley to Lakeside Station at Forty-sixth Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard....More->
  • Lake Side Subdivision
    First platted in 1882 and replatted in 1889. This is a part of the James W. Richards 160-acre property. Mr. Richards excluded about 3 acres, the grounds for "country residence." This is the restored...More->
  • Lake's Lake
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Lake View Subdivision
    This plat was recorded Dec. 7, 1886. Evidently, the lake view was of Berkeley Lake West, now known as Lake Rhoda in Lakeside Amusement Park....More->
  • Lake View Terrace
    This is a re-subdivision of Block 3 of the Henderson's subdivision recorded on Nov. 11, 1889....More->
  • Lakewood
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Lakewood Christian Church
    The congregation met in the V.F.W. Hall on 14th and Carr Streets,and then in Mary Lou Runyan's home. With her interest and dreams of a church, land was acquired at 20th and Kipling streets, plus 3 hou...More->
  • Lakewood Country Club
    It's been said Frederick G. Bonfils started the Lakewood Country Club as an act of defiance because he had been denied admittance about 1907-1911. The original founders were M.A. McLaughlin, Theodore ...More->
  • Lakewood Grange #172
    The first two meeting places were abandoned because of fires. Members donated both money and energy to build a new Grange that is still standing at W.14th and Brentwood street. It was dedicated in Oct...More->
  • Lakewood Gulch
    Lakewood Gulch originates on the north west foot of Green Mountain in Lakewood, flows east through Sixth Avenue West Park, and continues east through Lakewood into Denver, where it joins the South Pla...More->
  • Lakewood-Montair Fire Station
    In 1937 Andy Johnson was elected Fire Chief and he held this position until 1951. In 1937 there was only 27,000 inhabitants in Jefferson County. When the fire station began, all firefighters were volu...More->
  • Lakewood Park
    This park has lighted ballfields and tennis courts, picnic facilities, lighted football and soccer fields, volleyball court and concession stand....More->
  • Lakewood Post Office-First
    Lakewood's first post office opened in the metal foundry building of the Denver Hardware Manufacturing Company near West 13th Avenue and Brentwood Street. On April 21, 1892, Joseph B. Wight, a pioneer...More->
  • Lakewood United Methodist Church
    As early as 1881, many private homes and a school house near Colfax and Wadsworth Avenues were utilized for the church. After the school burned down in 1892, a new building was constructed at 10th and...More->
  • Lamb Cemetery
    This is an abandoned private family plot with the undated graves of two daughters of Coral Dudley and David Albert Lamb....More->
  • Lamplighter Park
    Lamplighter Park was one of five joint parks. Others were Arvada Center Parking construction, Moon Gulch Tennis Courts, Meadow Lake, and Shadow Mountain. These parks were jointly funded by North Jeffc...More->
  • Lancaster Mine
    Located in the Big Hill mining district. The ore produced contained gold, silver, and copper sulphide in granite and gneiss. A 1901 assay report: copper pyrite, 3% to 9% copper and 1/2 ounce gold, val...More->
  • Landsay Pit
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Landsdale Gardens
    Robert T. Cassell subdivided this land November 18, 1898. The 37 1/2 acres were subdivided into 18 sites for small farms and family living....More->
  • Lane Ditch
    Lane Ditch in Water District No 7, filled from water diverted from Clear Creek via south bank of Slough Ditch, had a priority dating from June 20, 1864. Claimants in 1884 were John S. Lane, Annie Lees...More->
  • Lane's Tavern
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Lanious Mine
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Lans Gulch
    The gulch runs from northeast of Marshdale and joins Cub Creek. Origin of name unknown....More->
  • Laramie Road
    from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004: Laramie Road(1867) This road ran from Golden to Laramie, Wyoming. The road was vacated in 1886, when Standley Lake was built. ...More->
  • Lariat Mine
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Lariat Spring
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Lariat Trail Scenic Mountain Drive
    The dream of a road to reach the summit of Lookout Mountain from Golden began in 1889, when Frederick Olmsted, Sr. (designer of New York's Central Park) designed the "City on the Hill," a resort with ...More->
  • Lasley Elementary School
    Built in 1960, and named for Marion L. Lasley. Her family were early residents on farm where the school is located....More->
  • Last Resort Creek
    Henry Corbin, rancher, named the creek. After having brought cattle from Pleasant Park and finding the hay supply exhausted, exclaimed, "This is the last resort!"...More->
  • Laufman/Fryer House
    The exact date of construction cannot be determined for this c. 1910 one-story, side-gabled bungalow house. Charles W. and Minnie McClellan and Anna L. or Priscilla Laufman each owned lots in this bl...More->
  • Lawrence Elementary School
    This was the first District No. 2 brick high school, built in 1900. It became Lawrence Elementary school after the second brick high school was built at 7225 Ralston Road in 1920. Lawrence Elementary ...More->
  • Leadville Free Road
    from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004: Leadville Free Road (circa 1865) The Leadville Free Road was built to compete with toll roads. Built to compete with the toll roads at Apex and up Mount Ve...More->
  • Leawood Elementary School
    Located south of West Bowles Avenue and east of South Pierce Street, this school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It was opened in 1972 and was named after the subdivision in which ...More->
  • Lee, Henry House
    Henry Lee came to Colorado in early 1860. He pre-empted and homesteaded hundreds of acres in Wheat Ridge-Highlands Avenue to Prospect Avenue, Wadsworth to Garrison Street. He was an implement dealer...More->
  • Lee's & Baugh Ditch
    Lees and Baugh Ditch is in Water District # 7, with water diverted from the north bank of Clear Creek, has early priority No. 2, dated May 15, 1860. Claimants for adjudication in 1884 were Annie Lee a...More->
  • Lee's Ditch
    Lee's Ditch is in Water District #7, filled with water diverted from the south bank of Clear Creek, has early priority #14, June 2, 1861. Claimant in 1884 was William Lee. Some water was later trans...More->
  • Lee's Island Ditch
    Lee's Island Ditch is in Water District #7, running from the north bank of Clear Creek, and has early priority #8, June 30, 1860. Claimant in 1884 was Annie Lee....More->
  • Lee's Spring
    William Lee came to Colorado in 1859 and purchased a squatters claim of 160 acres at what was Prospect Trail and Olivet Road (38th Avenue to 44th Avenue, Youngfield Street). The property bordered on ...More->
  • Lee, William House
    William Lee was born on January 27, 1837, in London, England. At the age of eight he immigrated with his family to the United States. Lee came to Colorado in May 1859 to seek his fortune in the gold...More->
  • Legault Mountain
    Named after Joseph Legault, a pioneer who came from Quebec about 1870 and homesteaded and ranched in Pleasant Park adjacent to the mountain which bears his name. Up to 1997, five generations of the Le...More->
  • Legion Post #17
    The founding namesake of the American Legion Post #17, was Robert Downing, Jr., a graduate of Edgewater High School who died in World War I. The Post was activated in 1948 at 22nd and Sheridan after...More->
  • Lehow Cemetery
    This appears to be a family cemetery. The earliest grave that is apparent has a date of March 5, 1870. This cemetery is east of the Martin Marietta property and southwest of Chatfield Reservoir on the...More->
  • Lena Gulch
    Lena Gulch begins in Jefferson County near East of I-70, north of Colfax Boulevard and drains into Maple Grove Reservoir....More->
  • Lewis Bar Placer Mine
    July 25, 1885, J.J. Wanamaker sold the Lewis Bar Placer Mine & Arapahoe Bar Placer Mine to a unnamed company belonging to J.E. Chaffee and G.W. Cummings. They began using high pressure water hoses wi...More->
  • Lewis House
    This Victorian, 1 1/2-story brick rectangular house (ca. 1879) has a shingled high gabled roof. The upper 1/2-story is an arched open alcove with fish scales shingles at its gabled ends. The top o...More->
  • Lewis Meadows Park
    This is a small park sponsored by both the Cities of Lakewood and Wheat Ridge. It has trails and bike paths in a natural environment....More->
  • Lewis, Tom House
    Tom Lewis's home was built in ca. 1879 of native brick. Mr. Lewis ran a livery stable in Morrison. His son was killed by John Brisben Walker's horse. His daughter died as a young woman (Mrs. Amy Abbo)...More->
  • Lew Walsh Park
    Lew Walsh Park, a City owned park, was originally named Hideaway Park. Lew Walsh was a cowboy from Wyoming, who took horses to school to let the children ride. He was quite a friend of the young peopl...More->
  • Leyden
    The Town of Leyden was named for the three Leyden brothers, Martin, Michael and Patrick, who discovered rich coal seams along a creek also named for them in 1865. It was coal instead of gold that led ...More->
  • Leyden #1 Mine
    On July 13, 1961, two divers were sent by Public Service of Colorado down in the flooded #4 shaft to see if a two-inch pipe, which was showed on an old map, was still in place between two levels. The...More->
  • Leyden Chapel
    The Leyden Chapel was originally built in the town of Leyden with the rest of its buildings in 1903. It was served by the Presbyterian church to accommodate the 100+ miners who labored in the Leyden ...More->
  • Leyden Creek
    This creek was named for the three Leyden brothers who opened coal mines along the creek in 1869....More->
  • Leyden Creek Greenbelt or Trail
    Leyden Creek Greenbelt or Trail was built as a result of the City of Arvada Bond Referendum in 1974. It was designated Leyden Creek Corridor at that time. It extends past Leyden Reservoir and the Town...More->
  • Leyden Creek Park
    Leyden Creek Park is one of 30 City parks approved in the 1974 Bond Referendum. It was completed in the Fall of 1975 and is part of a greenbelt system....More->
  • Leyden Creek Playground
    Neighbors in the vicinity agreed that the playground should be re-sited as well as replaced. The present location was not visible to allow supervision and is surrounded by a swamp. City Council approv...More->
  • Leyden Elementary School
    Leyden School was the last District No. 7 School to be organized. By 1904 there were 75 area school children with no school available. The Leyden Mine Coal Company began operations c. 1900 and lat...More->
  • Leyden Flats
    Named for the nearby community of Leyden, and Leyden Creek. It is just west of the north end of Ralston Reservoir....More->
  • Leyden Lake
    The 1936 claimant was the Farmers High Line Canal & Reservoir Company. Construction began July 12, 1905, and completed April 1909. Located in Water District #7, it is filled by waters directly from...More->
  • Leyden Mine
    In search for gold, the three Leyden brothers discovered a coal mine in 1865. They built a road, had the mine working in 1869, and delivered coal by oxen at three dollars a ton to Golden and Denver. ...More->
  • Leyden Pit
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Leyden Reservoir
    Claimant in 1936 was the Farmer's High Line Canal & Reservoir Company. Construction began July 12, 1905 and was completed April 1909. It is filled by waters directly from Leyden Creek and from Ralston...More->
  • Lichen Lakes
    The Lichen Lakes are two small dam-created lakes used to water livestock grazing atop North Table Mountain....More->
  • Light of the World Catholic Church
    The first mass was celebrated by Father Frank Syrianey, at Colorow Elementary school, on July 5, 1979. Soon Sunday mass expanded to three masses plus a Saturday evening mass at Hosanna Lutheran Church...More->
  • Lilley Gulch
    Named after a land owner named J.G. Lilley. "J.G. Lilley was born in England 1833, and came to Colorado in 1860. When a search for gold proved futile, he bought 160 acres near Littleton in 1862. He in...More->
  • Lindsay Ranch
    This ranch first opened in 1970, and served as a marginal cattle and horse ranch for 40 years. After WWII the ranch was rebuilt and became a boarding and riding ranch until the property was acquired...More->
  • Lininger Mountain
    The mountain was named by Gilbert Lininger a dentist who moved to Colorado in 1906 and purchased the mountain in 1929 to build a home for his family of five daughters. Lininger gained approval for a ...More->
  • Lion's Head
    The Lion's Head is a rock formation along Clear Creek 2.1 miles west of Golden in Clear Creek Canyon. It was a point of interest along the Colorado Central Railroad due to its obvious appearance....More->
  • Lions Park
    Lions Park was the contribution of one of Golden’s several civic groups in the early 1900s before the local parks and recreation district was organized. The park has a pond, playground, and picnic ar...More->
  • Little Bear Bar
    In 1886, Amos Post sold the Episcopal church to the trustees of the Methodist Church for the sum of $1. Originally the property was part of the Mary and Williams estate, rumors say that she did not i...More->
  • Little Bits Antiques
    Built of Morrison native stone c. 1880, this long rectangular building on Main Street (Bear Creek Avenue) has two front doors flanked with store front windows. It has housed a saloon, barbershop, and...More->
  • Little Brother Mine
    In 1959 the H&G Mining Co. operated this uranium mine. It had a four-foot by four-foot tunnel driven 100 feet southeast, 50 feet northeast, and 50 feet southeast. Avein had been located at the breas...More->
  • Little Chapel in the Hills
    It was built of logs and redwood timber in 1901 for a non-denominational church. A cemetery adjoins the chapel, dating back to the 1880s. Services have been held without interruption throughout the ye...More->
  • Little Church Ditch
    Little Church Ditch is filled with water diverted from Coal Creek via the Upper Church Ditch. Earliest appropriation date was July 1, 1871. It was partially abandoned February 3, 1988....More->
  • Little Dry Creek
    This creek was probably so named because of the proximity to another drainage called "Big Dry Creek."...More->
  • Little Dry Creek Park
    Funds for Little Dry Creek Park were provided by the City of Arvada Bond Issue approved by the voters in 1974. The 4.277 acre park was built in 1975 and includes a basketball court and playground. It ...More->
  • Little Dry Creek Trail
    Little Dry Creek Trail is an Open Space Corridor which runs along the drainage way from Chase Drive on the east edge of Arvada to the west end of Little Dry Creek near Indiana Street. This trail provi...More->
  • Little Duzy Mine
    In 1955 the principal product of this quarry type open pit was carnotite. Owned by R.B. Stevenson and Co....More->
  • Little Elementary School
    This grade school was built in 1973. It was named for Dr. John R. Little who was superintendent of Arvada School District No. 2 from 1941 until the reorganization of the Jefferson County Schools in 19...More->
  • Little Hope Mine
    Adit is tunnel five feet by seven feet, timbered 70 feet with 12-inch posts and caps. Vein material of gold, silver, and lead exposed approximately 20 inches. There is a 10-foot by 12-foot house by ...More->
  • Little Park
    A Denver Mountain Park of 400 acres west of Idledale, bought in 1917 from the Bureau of Land Management for $1.50 per acre. The unusual eight-sided stone shelter house was designed by Denver J.J.B. ...More->
  • Little Scraggy Peak
    It was probably named for the topography of the region. This is the lesser of the two Scraggy Peaks in southern Jefferson County....More->
  • Little Tynon Reservoir
    This Water District #7 reservoir is filled via Tynon Lateral from the Farmer's High Line with water diverted from Clear Creek. Constructed in 1890, the claimant in 1936 adjudication was Denver Join...More->
  • Lively Park
    This park was donated to the City of Arvada by Thomas C. Lively and his sister Ellen M. Taylor in memory of their father, Clarence Lively, who operated Atlasta dairy in the area prior to the developme...More->
  • Lochnane Ranch
    Sarah Lochnane came from the French Quarter of the Louisiana Territory to Idaho Springs, Kansas Territory in 1860. She was a widow with two children who joined a wagon train to the West. In 1863 she p...More->
  • Lochwood Baptist Church
    The membership originally met in area homes at South Federal Boulevard and Iliff Street in 1954. They built their church in 1971 at 1354 South Union Boulevard in Lakewood....More->
  • Log Cabin
    Built ca. 1918 by Ted and Joe Schrock for Olinger (mortuary) as a real estate office to promote selling Indian HIlls property. It was moved from Bear Creek Avenue to its present hill location. It was ...More->
  • Long Brothers Garage
    Rudy and Harlan Long (brothers and partners) built the garage in 1916 and it has operated ever since. The present building is the third structure built because of highway construction and changes. T...More->
  • Long Gulch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Long Lake Ditch
    Irrigation canal, Denver Mountain Map, 1950. Intake in Ralston Creek (right bank) in S31, T2S, R70W at dam above Ralston Reservoir. Parallels creek to map edge....More->
  • Long Lake (Upper and Lower)
    Claimants in 1884 were V.J. and John Churches. Filled from Ralston Creek with headgate for the feeder being on the south bank of Ralston Creek in the NW 1/4 S6, T3S, R70W. By the 1936 adjudication, cl...More->
  • Long Scraggy Ranch
    This was a working ranch,1880-1932. A portion was sold in the late 1940s and became a private girl's summer camp (Long Scraggy Mountain Ranch), 1950-1971. In 1971 a church organization bought the...More->
  • Longview
    In early 1900, this was a residential settlement with a post office. It was probably named for the view from the place....More->
  • Lookout Mountain
    Native Americans, trappers, and early tourists savored the extraordinary views of the Front Range to the east and Continental Divide to the west from Lookout Mountain. A resort was planned there in 1...More->
  • Lookout Mountain Funicular
    The first Funicular proposal to rise from Golden to Lookout Mountain was in 1890 as part of the resort and residential housing development,"City on the Hill" (see the Lariat Trail). The idea was again...More->
  • Lookout Mountain Nature Center
    Charles Boettcher purchased 112 acres from Lookout Mountain Development company (Rees Vidler) between Lookout Mountain Road and Colorow Road in 1918 and built a hunting lodge. He fenced the land to k...More->
  • Lookout Mountain Park
    Real estate developer Rees C. Vidler donated an estimated 50 acres of his residential platted Lookout Mountain land to Denver to become part of the city's mountain park system in 1913. After more tha...More->
  • Lorraine Elementary School
    Lorraine was the first school in District No. 25, established in 1884. The school was built and opened for students in the Fall of 1885. By 1917, plans for consolidation were introduced and became a...More->
  • Lorraine Mandalay Elementary School
    Lorraine-Mandalay school was built in 1928 with some of the lumber from Church's Stage Stop and additional lumber was supplied by G. H. Church. According to Mary Jump, a teacher at Mandalay School in ...More->
  • Lost Valley Ranch
    A resort ranch and a working ranch, owned by the Foster family since the 1950s. William Graham homesteaded the land in 1885 and built a log cabin on which he made additions in 1900 and named it Graha...More->
  • Lothrop Elementary School
    This District No. 23 school was named for W.C. Lothrop, who built the school with Henry D. Calkins somewhere between 1871 and 1875. Wilbur C. Lothrop was State Superintendent of Public Instruction in ...More->
  • Louise Turner Park
    The City purchased the land in 1988. It is a small neighborhood park that has a play ground and picnic tables....More->
  • Loveland Building & Coors Building
    The 1863 Loveland Building and 1906 Coors Building are significant for their long-time association with Golden's commercial history. A 1992-93 renovation project connected the first floors of the bui...More->
  • Loveland Mine and Coal Company
    1891, White Ash Coal Co. reopened the Loveland mine shaft down to 582 feet and cutting coal at 372 foot level, 452 foot level and the 532 foot level. Each level runs 128 feet before reaching coal vei...More->
  • Loveland William House
    This two-story, cross-gabled, brick house was built by William A. H. Loveland. Loveland was an entrepreneur that built one of the first stores in Golden. An incorporator of Golden and its first treasu...More->
  • Lower Church Lake
    Claimant for adjudication in 1936 was George H. Church. Construction began in 1878. This Water District #7 lake is filled with water diverted from Clear Creek via the Church Ditch (formerly Golden Ci...More->
  • Lower Long Lake
    Claimant for adjudication in 1936 was Long Lakes Reservoir Inc. Filled from Ralston Creek through Upper Long Lake. Construction began June 6, 1909. Completed in 1913. Various enlargements were made un...More->
  • Lower Shinglemill Cabin
    The site is a ca. 1880-1920 historic cabin constructed with raw, saddle-notched logs of local origin. It is situated in a side-hill, leveled excavation in a gully above the drainage which measures 11...More->
  • Lower Twin Lake
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Lubin/Blakeslee House
    The Lubin/Blakeslee Place consists of one small northeast facing cabin made of squared log, a log barn, a frame barn, and two frame sheds. The log buildings date to the 1870s or 1880s, and the other ...More->
  • Lubin Cemetery
    This is a family cemetery containing the bodies of early property owner John Lupin, his wife, and his daughter, Mary. Mary died suddenly. John's wife died mysteriously and John was charged with her ...More->
  • Luce, Frank/Bob Smith House
    This rectangular framed house with white wooden shingles on the exterior walls was built c. 1915 for Dr. Frank Luce. It was built with lumber taken when part of Abbo's Livery Stable was demolished. ...More->
  • Lukas Elementary School
    This school in the Jefferson County R-1 School District was named for Amelia Mae Lukas, a former Jefferson County teacher and principal. The school was built in 1988....More->
  • Lumberg Elementary
    Lumberg Elementary School was named for Harry H. Lumberg, who came to Colorado from Denmark in 1886 at age 14. He moved to Edgewater in 1906. The school for grades K-6 was constructed in 1955 and by 1...More->
  • Lumberg Elementary School
    Built in 1954. Named for Harry Lumberg, who donated the land. He was former mayor of Edgewater. He was also president of the school board in 1927....More->
  • Lumberg School Park
    Edgewater contributed $25,000 of Open Space money to the development of the Lumberg School Park. The park consists of two tennis courts, a play ground, and a ball field....More->
  • Lupton's Creek
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Lutheran Hospital & Medical Center
    Established in 1961 and has continuously enlarged from the original 20 acres to 112 acres with modern of medical facilities and office buildings. In 1993 purchased the West Pines psychiatric center....More->
  • Lutheran Sanatarium
    St. John's Lutheran Church, Denver, saw need for a "health resort" for tuberculars coming to Colorado. A tent city was established in 1905 on 20 acres farm buildings on property were used as office an...More->
  • Mace Reservoir
    This Water District #7 reservoir is filled from a spring (1/2 acre foot). Appropriation date August 24, 1974....More->
  • Maddox House
    This Edwardian Vernacular house was built for the Reverend R.W. Maddox in 1903 for $2,800. It has a round second floor window that looks over 12th Street. It was later owned by Frank and Laura Hills...More->
  • Madonna #1 Mine
    This open pit was formerly worked by the International Minerals and Chemical Corp. for feldspar. In 1965 Robert Beal is mining quartz and rare earth and the pit was 75 feet by 50 feet. That year 20 ...More->
  • Madonna #2 Mine
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Maggie Mine
    In 1883 the Maggie was the first copper strike in Golden district. It was struck 10 feet down with a vein three feet wide with an occasional 3-inch streak of pure copper with a trace of gold and silv...More->
  • Magpie Gulch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Main Reservoir
    Claimant in 1936 was the Agricultural Ditch and Reservoir Company. The reservoir filled from Clear Creek via Golden or Welch Ditch and Agricultural Reservoir Ditch (which is an extension and enlargeme...More->
  • Main Street
    Main Street was the original identity of 2nd Street, platted with the Golden Park Addition. Its name is possibly reflective of the ambitious Golden expansion aspirations of the platters. It was rena...More->
  • Majestic View Park
    Majestic View Park was one of the 30 parks voted on in the City Bond election of 1974. It was named for an old street, now W. 66th Ave. and for the name of the original subdivision, now Huntington Hei...More->
  • Malachite Mine
    The Malachite Mine was primarily a copper mine on an 80-acre tract along Bear Creek. Its mill site occupied 10 acres on Bear Creek. The mine's approximate production was $35,000. Its ore was descri...More->
  • Mandalay Elementary School
    The school was named after the nearby Mandalay rail station. Mandalay School, District 25, was established in 1928 with donated land, building materials, and labor from the local residents. It began...More->
  • Mandalay Station
    Mandalay Station was a structure with two intersecting walls and roof to provide weather protection for the customers of the Interurban Railroad. It was located 12.14 miles from the junction in Denve...More->
  • Manhart Ditch
    Manhart Ditch in Water District # 7, obtains its water out of north bank of Ralston Creek. Currently is part of Baker Metropolitan Water and Sanitation District. It was priority #1 out of Ralston Cr...More->
  • Manhattan Beach
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Mannon Pit
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Mann Ranch Mine
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Mann Reservoir
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Manor House
    "The Manor House was built in 1914 for $100,000 for John C. Shaffer, a one-time owner of the Rocky Mountain News. Shaffer, an industrialist from Chicago, financed the Chicago Grand Opera in 1910 and w...More->
  • Maple Grove Elementary School
    This school was built in 1878 at a cost of $1,000. The structure had brick walls a foot thick and 12-foot high ceilings. It was also known as "Black School" because the land was donated by the Black...More->
  • Maranatha Christian Center & Community Church
    This church and school purchased 10 acres, a house and barn in 1982, which was originally owned by Rodney Curtis, for whom Curtis Street in Denver was named. Curtis was one of the founders and former ...More->
  • Marchment Mine
    The mine occupies 330 acres. Average content of a ton of ore consists of 1/5 ounce gold, 16 ounces of silver, 31% lead, 6 1/2 percent copper, 11% zinc, and 31% iron. Total development in 1916 includ...More->
  • Marge Roberts Park
    Marge Roberts Park, originally named Holder Park, was purchased with Arvada's share of Open Space funds, August 20, 1979, but was never maintained properly. Nearby King of Glory Lutheran and Arvada Me...More->
  • Marshall Street
    Graves Avenue was named for pioneer Oliver Graves, who secured 160 acres by military bounty in 1867. With the revision of Jefferson County street names in 1949, this thoroughfare became Marshall Stree...More->
  • Marshdale Lodge
    A lodge built in the 1920s by Dr. Wilbur Marsh, a dentist. From 1968 to 1986 it was the summer headquarters for the 75-member Colorado Philharmonic Orchestra. Named after builder....More->
  • Marshdale Park Subdivision
    Marshdale takes its name not from its meadowlands but from its founder, Dr. William C. Marsh, a Denver dentist, who, along with his wife and mother, developed the area as a site for summer tourism dur...More->
  • Marston Lake
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Martensen Elementary
    Jefferson County District R-1, 1955. Named for pioneer family son Lou Martensen school board. Daughter-in-law Marina, County Superintendent of Schools in 1950 R-1 days. In the 1980's the extended scho...More->
  • Martin Heliport
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Martin Marietta Aerospace
    The entrance to Martin Marietta is located at the southern end of State Highway 75. In 1955 the site was selected for the facility to build the Titan Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (Titan I). Oth...More->
  • Martson Lake
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Masonic Lodge
    In 1930 the Masons purchased the building at West 25th Avenue and Eaton Street and moved in March of 1931. As the Mason's membership continued to grow, they purchased lots in 1948 along the north si...More->
  • Massey Draw
    Massey is a creek bed that is mostly dry. It runs from Jefferson County into Arapahoe County and into the Platte River....More->
  • Matchbox School
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Matthews House
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Matthew Winters Park
    At the Interstate 70 entrance to the Rocky Mountains (Mt. Vernon Canyon), at Highway 26, Jefferson County Open space purchased 1,095 acres which includes the original 1860 plat of Mt. Vernon town. T...More->
  • Maxwell Creek
    Maxwell Creek begins about one mile northeast of the top of Black Mountain and empties into Cub Creek about three-quarters of a mile east of Brook Forest. Name origin unknown....More->
  • McBroom Ditch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • McCartney/Henry House
    This one-story bungalow was built c. 1919 for Fred W. McCartney, an Edgewater real estate agent. Originally McCartney owned the entire block. George Olinger purchased lots 1-6 in 1919. Thomas an...More->
  • McCartney/Miller House
    Built c. 1917 for Fred W. McCartney, this one-story, side gabled, wood frame building faces east. There are ornamental front and side panels on the covered front porch, as well as railings and supp...More->
  • McCartney/Morgan House
    This one-story, wood frame bungalow was built c. 1919. It was built for Fred W. McCartney, a Denver real estate agent with an office in Edgewater. On Jan. 28, 1925, Evert and May Baker purchased th...More->
  • McCartney/Murray House
    Built in 1902, this one-story bungalow with wood siding was a rental owned by Fred W. McCartney. There is a covered front porch with the main entry door in the center of the west wall. There are t...More->
  • McDearmon House
    McDearmon Home was built by Rodney Curtis, an enterprising businessman in Denver, who was the first and long-time president of the Denver Tramway Co. It is for him that Curtis Street in Denver is name...More->
  • McGill, Levi House
    Built ca. 1873. Vinton Amos, a blacksmith in Morrison, lived here ca. 1880. Mr. and Mrs. Peinze ran a grocery store and market and a real estate office here since 1923. It is now a restaurant....More->
  • McIlvoy House
    McIlvoy House was named for Dennis D. McIlvoy, who built the house in 1897. The house was deeded to the City of Arvada in 1919 by Mrs. Clemancy McIlvoy, including a codicil stating that the house shal...More->
  • McIlvoy Park
    McIlvoy Park was named for Dennis D. McIlvoy who built the house in 1897. The house was known as the Park or Legion House, Mental Health Office,and Urban Renewal Authority. After her husband's death, ...More->
  • McIntyre Cemetery
    A private cemetery with two known burials, the first in 1868, the second in 1880. Bentley states, "Since this is the homestead land of the son, Daniel W. McIntyre, quite likely this is the grave of ...More->
  • McIntyre Gulch
    McIntyre Gulch is named for the early Lakewood settler from Pennsylvania, William W. McIntyre, who obtained his 160 acres north of West Sixth Avenue along present day Wadsworth Boulevard through a mil...More->
  • McIntyre Pit
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • McKay Ditch
    McKay Ditch flows from Coal Creek to Walnut Creek east of Highway #93....More->
  • McMahon's Lazy 12 Ranch
    Isiah Green began building on this 144-acre ranch these structures in 1887. 1977 survey listed two one-story houses with lofts and one dairy barn with a loft....More->
  • McQuiston Ditch
    Claimant in 1884 was F.J. McQuiston who owned a farm "11 miles west of Denver on Ralston Creek." He was granted Ralston Creek priority #7, dating from 6/25/1863....More->
  • McQuiston House
    Francis James McQuiston from Erie, Pennsylvania, was on his way to Mankato, Minnesota, when he heard of the gold discovery in Colorado. With five others, he was one of the fifty-niners who changed cou...More->
  • Meadowbrook Village Park
    Property for Meadowbrook Village Park, containing 1.25 acres, was purchased with Jefferson County Open Space funds in 1975, and was named for Meadowbrook subdivision in which it is located. The "brook...More->
  • Meadowglen Park
    Meadowglen Park includes a trail along Little Dry Creek, The area to the north is a private homeowners association....More->
  • Meadowlake Park
    When Meadowlake Village subdivision was developed by Ron Hossington, the City of Arvada's six per cent development requirement was to be used for the park. Meadowlake Park was named for the subdivisio...More->
  • Medlen School
    The Medlen School began in 1886 as a log structure. Around 1900, clapboard siding covered the logs and a small frame teacherage rose beside the school. The complex served as the educational and soc...More->
  • Meiners Cabin
    Building was finished in 1920 and was a summer cabin to the main building, the Shissler home. The cabin was used for guests that came up on the railroad....More->
  • Melmon Park
    Two acres of Callahan and Melmon Subdivision were deeded for park purposes, November 22, 1967. For a period of time the park was managed by various civic clubs and organizations. Finally a request was...More->
  • Melody Park
    Melody Park is an extension of Youth Memorial Park on Alkire Street. This is a blue grass area surrounded by a split rail fence. It is not known why the park was named Melody Park....More->
  • M Emblem
    West of the Colorado School of Mines, on the east face of Mount Zion, is the emblem "M" for the name of the school. The "M" was designed by Joe O'Byrne in 1905 in such a manner as to be distrortion f...More->
  • Memorial Park
    Memorial Park is a park for the handicapped approved in the Arvada 1974 Bond Referendum. It consists of a playground behind Arvada City Hall, and seating for parents, constructed in 1984. A footbridge...More->
  • Mena Mine
    In 1956 operator Joseph W. Walsh extracted 443 tons of uranium ore valued at 12,276 dollars. 1958: 368 tons of uranium are valued at 21,513 dollars extracted with five men, operated 198 days. 1959: 14...More->
  • Mendenhall School
    Due to the severe winters, the school was in session for only 3 months during a school year. Some students attended 3 months at Mendenhall and 3 months at Echo Valley School....More->
  • Messiah Mountain
    In the 1940s Gamma Phi Beta purchased Stone Crest. It was used as a camp for needy girls. From 1957 to 1962 the camp was used for fall, winter, and second spring sessions by groups from Jefferson Coun...More->
  • Methodist Episcopal Church
    The church, which was made of sand and brick, was built in 1868 and was the second Methodist Church organized in Colorado. Before 1868 services were held in Ford's Tent, the first being held on Monday...More->
  • Meyer Hardware
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Meyer Ranch Park
    A Jefferson County Open Space Park of 397 acres acquired in 1986. It features hiking and riding trails, picnic facilities, scenic overlooks, wildlife, and a popular winter sledding hill. Named after f...More->
  • Meyers Pool
    The fifty-meter indoor Meyers Pool was funded by the last of the 1974 bond money and was dedicated February 12, 1979. North Jeffco operates and maintains the pool, although the facility is owned by th...More->
  • Mica Mine Gulch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Middle Golden Road
    This road entered Wheat Ridge at Sheridan Blvd. and extended W. through Olivet Rd. to Golden. from Cultural Contexts report: "Middle Golden Road (circa 1962) Also known as Old Prospector Trail, thi...More->
  • Midway House
    This two-story, 12-room Victorian ranch house built by Louis Ramboz in 1889 was one of the first substantial frame houses in the area. Its name derives from its sometime use as a way station and host...More->
  • Midway Roadhouse
    Midway resort was a popular place of ill fame between Morrison and Denver during the Prohibition years. Like other notorious roadhouses, Midway was periodically raided by the Jefferson County Sheriff...More->
  • Mile High Poultry Farm
    Established by P.C. Schreiner in 1920. Produced eggs and fryers and was the largest employer in Jefferson County during this time period. Had a second facility in the Golden area at 15200 W. 44th Aven...More->
  • Miles & Eskins Ditch
    In Water District #7, Miles and Eskins Ditch had priority #15 (June 1, 1861). Claimants in 1884 were William Sanderson, William Lee and Alfred H. Miles. Sanderson, Lee and Miles were farmers in the a...More->
  • Mill Creek
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Miller Gulch
    About two miles long; divides in Section 26 to drain east slope of Guy Hill and north slope of Saulsbury Peak; opens on Tucker Gulch from the south. Named for Miller, who homesteaded there. Flat at en...More->
  • Miller Gulch Wagon Road
    Site consists of a sunken track from a wagon road along the side of Miller Gulch. Remnants of wooden fence are visible in some areas. This route may have been used by J. Higginson in the 1860s to ac...More->
  • Mill Gulch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Mitchell Elementary School
    Prior to 1870, the Mitchell School was the first Jefferson County school organized in District No. 7. The school first held classes in the Mitchell residence, hence the name. Eventually, a brick sc...More->
  • Mitchell's Shingle Mill
    This site is an historic sawmill site that operated ca. 1865-1920. Some of is associated features include remnants of a log loading dock constructed with raw, saddle-notched logs situated in meadow a...More->
  • Moffat Road
    David Halliday Moffat, Jr., an empire builder, lived in a portion of the Nelson/Smith home, at 6440 West 60th Avenue while planning a new railroad in 1903 which became known as the Moffat Road. This ...More->
  • Molly Gulch
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Montair Christian Church
    The first church was at 14th and Ames Street. It was the second oldest church in Lakewood in 1927. The members met in homes in the beginning, and they sold original news letters from 1956. They picked...More->
  • Montana Creek
    Montana Creek was the third name of what is now Bear Creek. It was named in 1858 after the town formed along the South Platte River opposite the mouth of the creek. Montana City was the first town f...More->
  • Moon Gulch Park
    The property for Moon Gulch Park was provided by the City's 6% park requirement from Melody Homes Development and by the City's portion of Jefferson County Open Space Funds. This five-acre park includ...More->
  • Moore Junior High School
    This Jefferson County R-1 District School was completed in August of 1980, and was named for Charles O. Moore who served on the Jefferson County School Board off and on for 15 years....More->
  • Morgan Mine
    The source of this name is not known, but is mentioned in Crofatt's book as having operated before the turn of the century; exact location unknown....More->
  • Morningside Manor
    The venerable farmhouse of Torrence White, largely unchanged from its original 1879 construction, was converted into Morningside Manor in 1993. Today it plays host to weddings, receptions, and specia...More->
  • Morrison Bank
    Built ca. 1880 of native brick. The banker was MacClain. A barber and beauty shop had occupied the east side for 30 years. Mr. Ed Drab operated it, and he was in his 80s when he retired. At the presen...More->
  • Morrison & Bergen Park Wagon Road
    from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004: Morrison & Bergen Park Wagon Road (1876) This road ran up Bear Creek Canyon and through Troublesome Gulch to Bergen Park. ...More->
  • Morrison Community Church
    Began as a Methodist Church in 1885-1921. Believed to have burned to the ground within first few years of its existence and was rebuilt in exact replication. Purchased in 1921 by the Pillar of Fire de...More->
  • Morrison Creek
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Morrison Garage & Livery
    Built by James Abbo in 1887. Henry Smith and Frank Baker operated a garage here. It was destroyed by fire in 1931 and rebuilt of Morrison brick that same year....More->
  • Morrison Library
    The Morrison Library was first organized in 1938 and set up in a grocery store. It next moved to a post office, then to a rented building next door. Finally, they found an empty store, but were evic...More->
  • Morrison Mine
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Morrison/Morrison Historic District
    Morrison was laid out into lots on November 21, 1874 by the Morrison Stone, Lime and Town Company. Although he did not sign the plat of the town, George Morrison was an early resident. He was a Welsh ...More->
  • Morrison Newspaper Site
    Built in 1889, it is believed a flood destroyed it. Conoco built a service station in the 1960s, which has now been sold. The site is being rebuilt for commercial use....More->
  • Morrison Red Sandstone Quarry
    George Morrison's red sandstone quarry is the likely source of building stone for the Cliff House and Morrison Schoolhouse, as well as the "Swiss Cottage" (no longer extant). The scar of the quarry i...More->
  • Morrison School House
    Built in 1875 by George Morrison, this two-story building is of local buff sandstone (probably Dakota Formation) with red Morrison sandstone trim. The school was in continuous academic use till 1955. ...More->
  • Morrison, Tom House
    Built ca. 1877 by the son of founder George Morrison. Tom was a stage coach driver from Morrison to Bradford Junction (now Conifer). He also had a butcher shop (No. 9 in the Morrison Historical Guid...More->
  • Morrison Uranium Mine
    1957, Uranium Mine operated by Four Corners Uranium Corp. for 282 days with four men. Property owner Pallaro Ranch. The Morrison Mine is located on the east side of the Hog Back three miles south of...More->
  • Morse Park
    Morse Park has been established for many years and with the added land from open space that makes all the picnic grounds and facilities, ball fields, swimming pool, lighted tennis courts, flower garde...More->
  • Morton Heliport
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Moskal Leasing Company
    Uranium mine prospecting on an 800-acre lease with un-patented claims No. 1,2,3,4,5. Property owner Drum and Leavitt Booth. In 1954 three men worked 182 days. Work started 5/1/54. Has 25 foot shaf...More->
  • Mosley House
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Motes Mine
    In 1961 this mine was open for guided tours for tourists. Operated by Robert J. Miller....More->
  • Mother Cabrini Shrine and Orphanage
    After Italian-born Francesca Maria established the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart in 1880, she arrived in New York City in 1889 to care for the immigrant orphans and poor. In 1900, most of th...More->
  • Mother Grundy
    Massive rock Old Man of the Mountains and inspiration point in Clear Creek Canyon along the Colorado Central Railroad....More->
  • Mountain Park
    Ball field, basketball court, concession stand, restrooms, soccer field, playground, tennis court, picnic tables, walking trails and flower gardens....More->
  • Mountain View
    Chartered 1972. Had Colorado's first mercury vapor street lights. Area is 12 square blocks. The name probably reflects the site of the city. In 1904 the view of the Rocky Mountains would have been spe...More->
  • Mountainview Church
    This Church was originally organized as the Center of Hope and moved into their building at 8400 W 94th Avenue in 1971. It became the Mountainview Church in 1983 with Rev. Mark McDowell serving as the...More->
  • Mountair Park
    This park has baseball field, basketball court, concession stand, restrooms, soccer field, playground, tennis courts, picnic tables, walking trails and flower gardens....More->
  • Mountair School
    Mountair School was organized in 1923 and was created from part of District Number 21. The first school was built about 1908. A red brick, two-room school was constructed south of the location of Belm...More->
  • Mountair Structure
    This house was built in the late 1800s. The land was owned by the Sloan Lake Family. (Sarah Sloan) Emily K. Crawford lived there as a girl....More->
  • Mount Anne
    This mountain was named by Johnathan Higginson, who homesteaded the Z Bar D Ranch, in honor of his wife, Ruth Anne Banner....More->
  • Mount Carbon
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Mount Dexter
    Mt. Dexter is a 1,600-foot high cliff towering over Clear Creek Canyon. It was a scenic point along the Colorado Central Railroad....More->
  • Mount Falcon Ruins
    The Mount Falcon ruins are the remains of the summer home of John Brisben Walker. Located on a 1,490-acre site, the ruins dominate a property which was untouched since the mansion burned in 1918. In...More->
  • Mount Galbraith
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Mount Glennon
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Mount Jo
    This mountain was named for Josephine Green, wife of John W. Green of Buffalo Creek and the owner of the J.W. Green Mercantile Company. The name was bestowed upon the mountain in the late 1890s....More->
  • Mount Lindo
    The mountain had been used in the past by Native Americans as a watch point and signal station. In the 1930s, George Olinger, Sr., founder of the Olinger Mortuary, acquired the mountain and named it...More->
  • Mount Morrison
    This geographic feature is the tallest mountain closest to the town of Morrison. The town was named for George Morrison, an early resident and presumably a part of the Morrison Lime, Stone and Town Co...More->
  • Mount Olivet
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Mount Olivet Lake
    Filled from seepage and Farmer's High Line Canal, this Water District #7 lake lies northwest of the Mount Olivet Cemetery....More->
  • Mount Tom
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Mount Vernon Canyon
    A canyon paralleling Interstate 70 for two or three miles just west of where westbound I-70 enters the foothills. Named after early town of Mount Vernon, which was named by Colorado Governor Robert St...More->
  • Mount Vernon Club Place
    In 1992, Intermountain Realty Company of Denver recorded 600-acre lots measuring 25 feet by 125 feet, a 9-hole golf course, and 100 acres of "open space." The first "members" built summer cabins and ...More->
  • Mount Vernon Country Club
    The Club House overlooking the Clear Creek Valley was built in 1922. Initially it served surrounding property owners, and in 1926 the cost to join was one hundred dollars. Closed during the World War ...More->
  • Mount Vernon Creek
    The sources of Mount Vernon Creek lie north and south of the Genesee exit of I-70. They join on the foot of Mount Vernon and form Mount Vernon Creek. The creek then flows toward the east along I-70 ...More->
  • Mount Vernon District
    Mount Vernon District was a copper mining district during the 1870s in Jefferson County. Its mines included the Malachite and Morrison....More->
  • Mount Vernon House
    The stone lintel over the front door is inscribed "1860." This may well be the erection date of the house as the first recorded date for the house is 1867. The Steel House may have been one of the e...More->
  • Mount Vernon Town Site
    Mount Vernon was one of the first towns to be plotted in the short-lived Territory of Jefferson. In the "Rocky Mountain News, November 17, 1859," Dr. Joseph Casto announced the new town. In 1860, Mo...More->
  • Mount Zion
    No history information currently available for this location.
  • Mower Ditch
    Built in 1872, the 4,500-foot long Mower Ditch is an earthen berm ditch that runs along the bottom of a small rise, following the natural contours. The ditch intersects Woman Creek with a headgate to...More->
  • Muegele Park
    This temporary name came from the Muegele family from whom Wheat Ridge purchased the property with Jefferson County Open Space funds allocated to the city....More->
  • Mullen Barn
    On February 20, 1918, John J, Mullen purchased the 720-acre property from Frederick Buechner. Shortly thereafter Mullen built the three-story Pennsylvania Dutch barn with many parallel windows, woode...More->
  • Murphy Coal Mine
    1879 - Incorporated Dec. 27, 1871. Capital Stock 200,000 dollars. John Q. Charles, pres.; Henry C. Dillion, secretary and treasurer; D.M. Murphy, supt. The property comprises 480 acres of land on R...More->
  • Murphy Gulch
    Murphy Gulch is an area founded by Eugene Van Murphy in 1915. In the 1930s Ed Stewart, who now resides on the property, built six log houses. In the 1950s there was a real influx of year-round dweller...More->
  • Myers Gulch
    A gulch running northward from Dix Saddle to the vicinity of Kittredge. Name source unknown....More->
  • Mystery House
    No history information currently available for this location.
 


Send questions or comments about this Web Site to Planning and Zoning.