The snow removal team at Rocky Mountain Metro Airport has received an honorable mention in the category of large general aviation airport for the Balchen/Post award. Six Balchen/Post awards are presented annually to the employees of airports who have demonstrated excellence in the performance of snow and ice control. The award is named for two gentlemen, Col. Bernt Balchen and Wilfred M. “Wiley” Post, who founded the International Aviation Snow Symposium.
Some statistics from the 2009-2010 snow season:
- ~ Number of times the Airport was NOTAM’d closed due to snow or ice: None
- ~ Total snowfall: 64.2 inches
- ~ Average annual snowfall at Airport (1971-2000): 61.7 inches
- ~ Heaviest single snowfall: 22 inches from October 28th to October 30th, 2009
- ~ Number of snowstorms in excess of 2 inches: 10
- ~ Amount of snow equipment owned by Airport: 19 pieces
Congratulations to our snow removal team for their outstanding performance and dedication this season. Thanks for all of your hard work!