• Identity Theft

    What to Do if You Believe Your Identity Has Been Stolen


    Call your Credit Card Company or Bank as Soon as Possible

    Report and dispute the fraudulent charges and close the affected account(s). The police will need any credit card statements, copies of checks or other information you obtain for their investigation.


    Report the Crime to the Local Law Enforcement Agency Where you Live

    Have any documents or copies of documents available for the officer when making your report. If the theft occurred in unincorporated Jefferson County you may call the hotline at 303-271-5550.


    Request a Fraud Alert to Major Credit Reporting Agencies

    Call, or go online, to one of the three major credit reporting agencies to place a "fraud alert" or "credit freeze" on your name and social security number and request a copy of your free credit report at


    Explore other available options:

      • Make an ID theft report to the Federal Trade Commission View exit disclaimer policy page for links to third-party websites. online or by calling 1-877-FTC-HELP
      • Visit the Colorado Attorney General's website View exit disclaimer policy page for links to third-party websites. for an "Identity Theft Repair Kit"
      • Contact the Internal Revenue Service External Link Icon at 800-908-4490
      • Verify your information with the Social Security Administration External Link Icon at 800-269-0271
      • If your driver's license/ID number has not been used fraudulently, but other identity theft has occurred, you may contact your local motor vehicle office to request an alert on your record to deter further fraud. Please be aware that an alert may cause closer scrutiny of anyone - including you - trying to obtain a license/ID in your name or gives your identification to law enforcement personnel.
      • You may wish to call the U.S. Postal Service at 800-275-8777 and request to have your mail held at your local post office for pick up. This will prevent your mail from being intercepted by the individual using your identity.
      • Contact check-approval companies to determine whether your driver's license/ID has been used to write bad checks.
            National Check Fraud Service: 843-571-2143
            Scan: 800-262-7771
            TeleCheck: 800-710-9898 or 800-297-0188
            CrossCheck: 707-586-0551
            Certegy Check Services: 800-437-5120
            International Check Services: 800-526-5380


    Replace documents

    There are various organizations that can help you replace documents that may have been stolen or lost and place alerts on those records.

    • Birth certificates and other vital records: call the state's vital records office or visit
    • Social Security cards: 800-772-1213 or
    • BCIS (INS) documents: 800-375-5283
    • Passports: 877-487-2778