Who We Are
The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Cadet Program is designed to provide on-the-job training to young men and women in a law enforcement environment. The program serves as a student intern opportunity for high school graduates pursuing a career in law enforcement while attending college.
Upon successful completion of the program, a cadet will be educated and experienced in many of the functions of the Sheriff's Office. Frequently, cadets pursue a career as a deputy sheriff.
What We Do
Cadets are assigned to several different units within the Sheriff's Office:
- Detention administration
- Patrol operations
- Crime Analysis
- Evidence vault
- Public Information
The Sheriff's Office attempts to rotate the cadets after a minimum of six months' service, to provide equal exposure to all areas within the organization. Special assignments are also available for cadets that may require them to work with deputies for specific enforcement duties. This provides an opportunity for the cadet to actively participate in enforcement activities with minimal risk.
The following are required for consideration for the cadet position:
- Age 17-23 (Students 14-21 may also see Explorer Program)
- High school graduate, registered or attending college
- Must be taking a minimum of 9 credit hours per semester
- Minimum 2.5 semester GPA
- Department application, including copies of applicant's birth certificate, social security card, driver's license, high school diploma and most recent grade report, and college transcript
- Polygraph examination
- Thorough background investigation
- Comprehensive medical and psychological examination
Cadets work a minimum of 20 hours per week, to a maximum of 39 hours per week. Cadets are permitted to participate in our ride-along program with our full-time deputy sheriffs.
Cadets wear a modified uniform consisting of a grey uniform shirt and black utility pants. Cadets do not possess nor wear a badge. Cadets are not law enforcement officers and are not POST-certified.
Interested in the Cadet program but not yet in college? Learn about our Explorer program.
Interested applicants should call 303-271-5332.
Apr 5, 2010 08:10 AM