header background image
Current Weather 81° F
  • Contact Information

    WestConnect

    kfrench@jeffco.us
    303-271-8495

    Monday - Friday
    7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

    Contact Us

    100 Jefferson County Parkway
    Suite 3500
    Admin and Courts Facility
    Golden, CO 80419

    Transportation and Engineering Director

    Kevin French

  • WestConnect Banner
  • Background of the WestConnect Study

     

    A circumferential highway (beltway) around the Denver metropolitan region was conceived 50 years ago. Today, almost 80 percent of this highway is complete and open to traffic via C-470, E-470 and the Northwest Parkway. The last remaining 20 percent consists of four separate but related segments, as described below:

    • Interlocken Loop - This segment extends from the 96th Street and Northwest Parkway intersection to SH-128 and is currently a four-lane arterial with traffic signals at major intersections. The City and County of Broomfield is in the process of identifying improvements to provide free flow capacity between the Northwest Parkway and the proposed Jefferson Parkway.
    • Jefferson Parkway - This segment extends from SH-128 to SH-93 and is planned as a four-lane, controlled access toll facility. The Jefferson Parkway Public Highway Authority is managing the project. Preliminary engineering and right-of-way acquisition is currently under way.
    • SH-93 - This segment extends from the southern end of the Jefferson Parkway to the northern Golden city limits. SH-93 is a CDOT state highway and there are no pending improvements for this segment.
    • SH-93 and US-6 in Golden - This segment extends from approximately 56th Avenue to the C-470 Extension. The City of Golden has recently completed a conceptual plan for this segment. The design provides free flow capacity for both local and through traffic with enhancements to mitigate noise impacts on Golden residents.

     

    In addition, the C-470 Corridor Coalition was formed in 2011 to develop and implement a solution that improves the safety and mobility along the C-470 corridor. The C-470 corridor was divided into two segments:

    • Segment 1 (I-25 to Kipling Parkway) - The Coalition’s Policy Committee selected a preferred funding solution of adding one new tolled express lane in each direction plus auxiliary lanes between select interchanges. Next steps for the coalition include refining the conceptual design and cost estimates, proceeding with re-evaluating the environmental assessment, producing a traffic and revenue study that meets bonding agency requirements and pursuing additional funding opportunities.
    • Segment 2 (Kipling Parkway to I-70) - The C-470 Corridor Coalition plans to start studying this segment in late 2013.

     

    Did You Know?

    In 1993, the federal gas tax was 18.4 cents per gallon. The price of a First Class stamp that year was 29 cents. The cost of mailing a letter has risen to 46 cents while the gas tax has stayed exactly the same. If the same rate of inflation had been applied to both, the gas tax would be at 28.5 cents per gallon today.

     

    Last Updated: 1-30-2014