• Transportation and Engineering Banner 671x92
  • Overhead Street Lights


    Outages or Lights Not Working  Overhead Street Lights Thumb

    If a street light is burned out or not working, please call the power company that serves your neighborhood.

    • Xcel Energy at 1-800-895-4999. Lights can also be reported online here. View exit disclaimer policy page for links to third-party websites.
    • Intermountain Rural Electric Association (IREA) at 303-688-3100.


    Requests for New Lights

    Jefferson County will consider installing overhead street lights, where none exist, only on roadways with a functional classification of Major Collector, Minor Arterial or Principal Arterial.

    • These roads are shown on the major-thoroughfare plan map Download Adobe Reader from Downloads Page
    • Examples of these types of roads include Bowles Avenue and Ken Caryl Avenue.


    Lights are installed only at intersections to improve traffic safety, not to reduce or deter crime.

    In cases where there are an excessive number of nighttime crashes on a lower class roadway, the county may consider lighting if no other improvement alternative is feasible.

    Locations will be evaluated based on certain criteria, such as traffic volumes, speed on the roadways and crash history. Locations receiving a high rating will be placed on a priority list. Installation will only occur as funding becomes available. Contact the county at 303-271-8495 to request an intersection evaluation.

    Individuals or homeowners associations can contact the power company directly to request a new light. Installation and electricity will be billed to the individual or HOA.

    Last Updated: 9-23-2016