Current Weather 23° F

  • Right-of-Way Use and Construction Permit


    This permit, called a "street cut permit," is required for work in the County Right-of-Way or easements. It typically involves construction activities where contractors need to obstruct all or part of the county road to perform their work.

    Contractors must obtain a permit, provide proof of a permit bond, maintain traffic control and restore the road to its original condition (or better) after their utility work is complete. The permit requires a two-year warranty of the road repairs.

    When do I need this permit?

    • When any work is performed in the public Right-of-Way or easements for activities such as excavation, paving, concrete work, utilities, exploratory boring, potholing, etc.
    • When a traffic lane is obstructed for any purpose other than travel for activities such as temporarily parking vehicles, tree trimming, landscape operations, materials storage, etc.
    • Each permit is valid for 90 calendar days and may be renewed for one more 90-day period. Work completed under the permits must be guaranteed against defects in workmanship and materials for two years.


    How to Apply for the Permit?

    • Read the county policy
      It is important to thoroughly read the County Right-of-Way Use and Construction Policy Download Adobe Reader from Downloads Page before completing or submitting the application form. The policy covers all information relating to street and road cut permits and required bonds for unincorporated Jefferson County. Call 303-271-8495 if you have questions.

    • Print and complete the application form
      You must complete the permit application formAdobe PDF Icon (also listed in the documents section at the bottom of this page), and include:
      • engineered plans (if applicable) and
      • a detailed traffic control plan (see requirements and examples below)
        Fax the completed application to 303-271-8490, email it to, or drop it off at:

        Jefferson County Courts and Administration Building
        Transportation and Engineering Division
        100 Jefferson County Parkway, Suite 3500 
        Golden, CO 80419-3500

    • Submit permit bond (after plan approval)
      To obtain the permit, all applicants must first provide a bond for each permit; a single bond is not acceptable for multiple permits. Jefferson County does not issue contractor licenses or require proof of insurance for this permit, but a Permit Bond is required.

      After plan approval, submit a noncancelable Permit Bond:
      • in the name of the permit applicant,
      • with the specific job location of where the work is to be done,
      • identifying Jefferson County as the sole oblige,
      • for the value of the work to be performed in the right-of-way, or a value of $10,000, whichever is greater,
      • and must assure that, should the permit holder fail to complete all work or make repairs, all county expenses incurred can be recovered. This assurance must continue for two years after the permit expiration date.

        Organizations such as other municipalities, metropolitan districts, utility and telecommunications companies are excepted, but they must provide a Letter of Responsibility in lieu of permit bonds.

    • Preconstruction meeting
      All permit holders must participate in a preconstruction meeting with the engineering inspector. The Preconstruction Meeting Agenda varies according to the type and complexity of planned work, along with the contractor's experience in Jefferson County. The meeting will include:
      • How to schedule inspections
      • Punch list preparation and repairs
      • Warranty period
      • Final Acceptance process


    Traffic Control Plan Requirements and Examples 

    Traffic control plans (TCPs) are required for all right-of-way use and construction permits. Plans must be consistent with the most recent edition of the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). The MUTCD and other traffic guidelines can be obtained from this Colorado Department of Transportation webpage. View exit disclaimer policy page for links to third-party websites. Traffic control plans must be approved by the engineering inspector before permit approval.

    Minor work activities, such as closing a sidewalk or a single lane of residential (local) street, can be addressed with the following sample traffic control plans. Remember, access for pedestrians and bicycles must be maintained and clearly shown on any traffic control plan.

    More detailed plans, including methods for handling traffic (MHT), will be necessary for complex, phased projects. Road closures are not allowed in Jefferson County without prior written approval from the engineering inspector.